Forum: Adults / Weddings

Weddings
It was ME! (karma: 1)
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3639, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 08:48 AM

I know I don't post on here very often anymore, but I still lurk! I'm so excited to finally announce it, but I was the person that posted anonymously a couple of months ago about thinking my boyfriend was going to propose. Well, it happened!! :D

It happened on a trip home to Vancouver to see my family. We rented a couple of bikes and biked around the sea wall at Stanley park. We packed a little picnic lunch and found a quiet little spot on the beach, and that's where it happened! It was nice and small, nothing crazy, but perfect for us :) It was great timing too, because we got to tell all of my family in person and celebrate together before we headed back to Calgary.

It's funny, because I actually haven't posted much about this boyfriend on this site. Mainly because things have always gone super well, so I haven't really needed to! We've been dating for almost 3 years now, and have been living together for about a year and a half. Our plan for the wedding is sumer 2016 (after I finish physio school), which will be a good amount of time to save up some money and plan. Except I'm the worst girl ever, and have no desire to plan a wedding :P

Anywho, YAY! :D

13 Replies to It was ME!

re: It was ME!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 09:44 AM
Yay!!!! Method to your madness to go to school in Alberta. Two Alberta-related engagements in the same week for DDNers. (Megan in Edmonton also got engaged.)

Jon
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:05 AM
Ahhh, congratulations!! So happy for you two!! :D I kinda thought that anon post was from you.

Sending lots of hugs to my newly-engaged fellow Albertans. (you and Megan) :)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 AM
So happy for you!!!
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:56 AM
Congratulations to both of you, that's fantastic news!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Sep 12, 2014 07:47 PM
YAY!!! Sending you the most happily ever afters!!!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Fri Sep 12, 2014 09:19 PM
Didn't see this until now! Congratulations!
re: It was ME! (karma: 1)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:19 AM
Me either, congratulations!

If you need to commiserate on the planning, I'm your girl! We decided on Vegas and it's STILL a huge pain, haha.
re: It was ME! (karma: 1)
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3639, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Thu Sep 18, 2014 04:42 PM
Thank you guys! I'm still on a high from the engagement, and stare at my left hand several times a day ;)

Dani, you know I think about the advice you gave me when I first decided to move to Calgary for my ex-boyfriend. You told me to go for it, and the worst that could happen was that we break up and I meet the love of my life instead. So crazy! :)

Congrats to you too, Megan! I'm starting to feel a little bit better about planning. I was feeling pretty discouraged for a little while, because everything wedding-related is SO expensive and we just couldn't seem to find something to fit our personalities (i.e. low key, fun, relaxed..) BUT we've decided to have the wedding in Vancouver. We're going to have the ceremony at the Centennial Rose Gardens on Burnaby Mountain (it's a public park, so it's DIRT cheap to rent!) and we're doing a casual BBQ and pool party at my mom's place afterwards! It's still going to cost a stupid amount of money for basically a big party, but I think it fits our personalities so well and our friends and families will have a blast!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Sep 19, 2014 03:02 PM
That sounds perfect! I can't believe how perfectly normal people lose their minds over weddings- the expense alone is terrifying.

My mother, who has seemed relatively sane up to now, almost started crying last week when I told her I had no intentions of wearing a freaking TIARA. Like...I have no words. There were not enough eye rolls in Alberta for that.

Have you picked a date??
On Fri Sep 19, 2014 03:27 PM
^I know, it's ridiculous! What's even more ridiculous is how it's perfectly acceptable for vendors (caterers, photographers, etc.) to charge so much more as SOON as an event becomes a wedding. If we had gone the traditional route, it would have been extremely difficult to plan it for anything less than $20,000, and that's if we skimped on everything.

Even as it stands, I'm probably not going to bother with a veil. We don't think we'll do a videographer, or even get a traditional cake. I'm not totally sure if we'll do favours or not. We do a lot of canning, especially from our own home garden, so I thought it would be neat to give little cans of our homemade salsa or something like that. I'm not even 100% sold that I'll do a traditional bouquet unless I can find one for a reasonable price. $100 for a handful of flower? No thanks! No save-the-dates, RSVP letters or place cards because I doubt we'll even do a sit-down dinner. Our two deal-breakers: a decent photographer, and an open bar :D haha.

Our date will likely be August 6th, 2016. I wanted August 7th, as it would have been the 2 year anniversary of our engagement. Unfortunately August 7th is a Sunday, and that's not really ideal especially when people are coming from out of town. How about you guys? I'm sure Vegas would be a blast!
On Fri Sep 19, 2014 09:03 PM
We're having it May 23, 2015, waiting just long enough to give a few people who need it time to save up. It's immediate family and a few friends, only 16 guests or so, so there is almost nothing to plan (especially because Vegas ceremonies can be one-stop shopping with everything from flowers to photos included.) I made a dinner reservation at a restaurant and booked a party limo for a tour and photos, and that was it. It took me like two days, haha.

My dad just keeps repeating "spend what you want! Get a nice suite! Put it on my MasterCard! You're still saving me at least $30,000!" I think he read about average wedding costs and so he is incredibly relieved I want it cheap and simple. We expected to pay for the whole thing, so it's really nice that he is being so sweet about it.

I don't even think I'd be capable of planning a traditional wedding. It all seems so overwhelming and pointless to me and I just cannot work up enthusiasm for place cards!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Thu Sep 25, 2014 09:46 PM
I got my bouquet from a grocery store floral department. I think it was around $30, and they did a great job! It's dried and sitting next to me on my nightstand right now!
By Balleticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2413, member since Mon Sep 17, 2001
On Thu Oct 16, 2014 09:10 PM
Congrats!

I'm another frugal Albertan that just got married! We got married on August 23rd (In B.C. too actually... in the Shuswap area).

Our wedding cost about 12,00, which is still fairly crazy considering I just finished Grad school, but the wedding was perfect for us. It was a great mix of "traditional" wedding and and change-ups that really suited our personalities. We did a lot of stuff ourselves. Really, the only things we hired out were caterers and the photographer. My cousin video taped for us, I made all the invitations, programs, and decorations (pinterest is now my nightmare haha) and we were even able to run our own twoonie bar with booze bought from Costco. I bought a bouquet off of Kijiji that another bride made for 50$, it was made out of burlap and other fabrics.

I love that I even made my own wedding cake... out of rice Krispies! It was a layered rice Krispie cake with chocolate frosting holding the layers together. Cost probably 10 dollars to make.

Anyways, what I am saying is is it is totally doable to have cheapie wedding and to have everything you want in it :)

ReplySendWatch