Forum: Arts / Pets

Emergency regarding rabbit
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 09:59 AM

Hello all, this is a little time sensitive, as I have to make the decision by tomorrow morning at 8am central U.S. time.

Two days ago I let my rabbit out of her cage in the morning and she was hopping, binkying, tossing her toys, etc. Then she went to a corner of my room and urinated, which was unusual of itself since she's litterbox trained. When she hopped away, it was pure blood she left behind. Took her to the vet since she's a four year old unspayed female, I was fearing the worst with some kind of cancer. Turns out she has a bunny bladder infection and is currently on antibiotics for ten days.

Here's the emergency: I live four hours away and she lives at my parent's house in my hometown. I moved away for college and while I live in an apartment for the whole year, I haven't brought her with me because I'm afraid all that moving year after year will shorten her life from stress. I can easily give her the medication (liquid given through a syringe into her mouth) by myself, but this morning my mom is struggled with even catching her to give her the meds under my supervision (to make sure she could do it alone). This stresses my mom out and she starts getting frantic and yelling, which stresses out my rabbit even more. I ended up having to hold down my rabbit while my mom gave her the meds, which defeats the purpose of "training" my mom how to do it alone.

I'm thinking I should just bring the bun back with me for rest of the week and come home again in a week like I had been planning all month, which coincidentally lines up perfectly with when her last dosage is. Has anyone moved rabbits around before? I've heard moving buns a lot stresses them and I feel like I'm weighing my choices between mom possibly failing at giving her the medication or me stressing out the rabbit to death from a four hour car ride each way tomorrow and then again in a week. Advice?

6 Replies to Emergency regarding rabbit

re: Emergency regarding rabbit
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 AM
I have had an indoor rabbit as a pet, but never moved one. I would say it would be better for the poor thing to get the medication properly and on time with ease, than the stress of being chased around by your mother. If it were me, I would bring the bunny with me and medicate her myself. It is a temporary situation, and she will probably feel better being around you while she is under the weather anyway.
re: Emergency regarding rabbit
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 AM
Thank you for the speedy reply. I agree I, and probably she, would feel more comfortable if I was the one giving the medication. She's always been a scaredy-bunny though which is why I have some reserves about moving her for only a week. My parents are moving to a new house they just bought at the end of September, so I wish I didn't have to make the bun do all this moving right now! If I take her, I'm brainstorming how to make it as comfortable and familiar for her as possible.
re: Emergency regarding rabbit
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 01:41 PM
Rabbits can be moved easily if they're in a proper container, do you have a cat carrier? Failing that a cardboard box with air holes made in the sides. I would definitely take her with you this week to make sure she gets her medication.
re: Emergency regarding rabbit
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 08:33 PM
So everyone's been saying do it, so I did it. I wanted time to spend with her when we got here, so I packed everything up and brought her and we just made it back. Currently sitting next to the cage.

She did well on the car ride. I could tell she was freaking out at first due to wide-eyes, but then she started to calm down and was laying down and even closing her eyes a bit. We stopped at the two-hour/ half-way mark so she could come out of the travel cage and stretch a bit and so I let her sit in my lap and snuggled her a bit. Heavy breathing, seemed kind of hot, so I offered her the water that was sitting in her travel cage and she took a few sips, didn't touch her hay though.

But as she was sitting on my lap she peed... and when I say pee I mean pure blood that started clotting immediately. I think it was more of a case of her holding it since she didn't think she could go in her travel cage, but it scared me hugely. Got her back in the cage and drove the remaining two hours.

Got her in the apartment, set up her cage like we had it back home, and she seemed curious. Took a good long drink of water, ate a single pellet, ate a single piece of hay, and then did that face-first, super dramatic floppy lay-down thing that bunnies do. Hoping she eats more and will keep an eye on her for that, but I'm grateful she's drinking her water.

Also, she's getting real bold. Opened her cage door to pet her face and she PUSHED my hand aside and went exploring/ playing chase through my WHOLE room. Waited for me to catch up then zipped in another direction. Glad to see she's still her usual self. If the blood persists though I will be calling the vet. Never had a bunny with a bladder infection, but two doses in and all that blood is not making me a happy mommy.
re: Emergency regarding rabbit
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Tue Sep 16, 2014 07:43 PM
Just saw this post. How's your bunny doing now? All better I hope? Both our rabbits and my sister in laws rabbit travel well. (We have a male Rex standard/mini and a female mini Rex and SIL has a holland lop).
re: Emergency regarding rabbit
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:06 PM
She's doing much better, thanks! There was an issue with the antibiotics she was taking... and then the second round of antibiotics weren't working either. Two cases of near- G.I. Stasis later, three vet trips, and all-nighters, it was deemed that she was allergic to the first one, and the second one was introduced right as I had to move her back and the stress was too much for her, so I was instructed by both vets to take her off of both and see if she gets better on her own, and she did.

And last weekend my parents actually moved to a new town, so I was a worried bunny mom, but she did very well with that move. Aside from a grumpy bunny who would rather eat her hay and glare at me for moving her to another place, she's her normal self again =)