Forum: Irish / Irish - MAIDs

Irish - MAIDs
practice floor.
By irishstep Comments: 103, member since Mon Nov 26, 2012
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 AM

I am an adult dancer and I am wondering if any one might have some advice for a practice floor. I have hard wood floors but I don't want to scuff them all up with my hardshoes. Therefore I am in the market for floor covering for practice. I have been trying to find that roll out flooring but I am having some problems finding it and getting a price on it.
Please let me know if any of you have any insight, websites, or contact numbers.

Thanks,
Nancy

5 Replies to practice floor.

re: practice floor.
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1258, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 AM
Go to your local home improvement store (Lowe's, Home Depot) and buy some shower pan liner. If your hardwood floors are floating or sprung (to cushion you while jumping), then you can just roll a piece out over your floors. It is an inexpensive alternative to Marley (the professional dance floor covering).

If your floors are not sprung, then you might need to add additional padding or cushioning.
On Tue Aug 26, 2014 02:06 AM
I found it. It comes it 4ft widths. With that being said I will need to buy three separate pieces to cover my 12x12 area. Can you tell me what to use to adhese the three separate pieces. Also will it remain flat when you turn on it?
On the issue of padding. What do you recommend? I'm not sure what type of hardwood floor I have but if it helps the home was built in the 40's.
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2590, member since Fri Dec 21, 2001
On Tue Aug 26, 2014 09:23 AM
Duct tape is a great way to keep the pieces together. My studio just puts it on the top side so you won't trip on the seams of the panliner.
By Realtreble Comments: 2094, member since Tue Dec 06, 2005
On Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:33 PM
Use duct tape, gaffer's tape (expensive) or, best of all, Gorilla tape to join the floor pieces together. Are you OCD like me? If so, tape the pieces together on both the top and underside. If you butt the covering into a corner, you may not have to tape your dance surface down after you tape together the pieces. Taping the covering to your wooden floor may leave residue. If you end up with tape residue on the wood, use the appropriate solvent to remove it. The correct solvent will depend on the finish: is it wax or acrylic sealed? One last warning, lower grade veneer wood floors may peal off with the tape.

If your wood floor is not on a slab, in other words, there's a joist framework under it, it is "sprung." A second story wooden floor would be "sprung." If you have a basement or crawl space under your floor, it is "sprung."

If your floor is on a slab, you will need a much more complex set up to create a safe dancing surface. You won't be able just to put padding under marley or a shower liner. Z&B's blog has excellent instructions for installing this type of dance floor.

zandb.wordpress.com . . .
On Tue Sep 09, 2014 07:48 PM
I went with the tub liner and it works great. Thanks every one. 🍀❤️

ReplySendWatch