Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Highland - Hornpipe
Fitted hornpipe pant leg
By Lennoxcastle Comments: 6, member since Thu Aug 21, 2014
On Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 PM

I have seen a trend at several of our last competitions. Many girls were wearing fitted hornpipe pants. It looked very odd as I am only used to seeing the flared bottoms. They seem to flow better in the dance with the full leg.

However, my dancers now both want the fitted legs, they seem to think it would feel more comfortable dancing in them.

Does anyone have any feedback, or know of any regulations regarding this. I have not come across any but I am wary about making a new outfit unless I know they will not be penalized for the new pant width.

Many thanks

2 Replies to Fitted hornpipe pant leg

re: Fitted hornpipe pant leg
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Thu Aug 21, 2014 02:21 PM
I will admit I haven't been to a competition in the last few months so I haven't seen this trend for myself.

The pants do have to be bell bottomed. In the dress code it does state the cuff has to be so many inches wider than the knee (I think it is 4 but I am not certain).

However, it doesn't say how fitted the top of the pant has to be. I have seen some fitted like yoga pants, but I can't see that being very comfortable made out of the specified fabric...

Hope that helps, and if you could find a picture of these new pants I would like to see it!
re: Fitted hornpipe pant leg
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Sun Aug 24, 2014 08:43 PM
The SOBHD Dress Code specifically states: "Trousers: To be made of the same material and to be the same colour as the jumper. Bell-bottomed style, the circumference of the trouser bottoms to be two or three inches wider than the circumference of the knee. Trouser bottoms to be plain."

Straight leg/fitted leg/skinny leg pants are not in line with the dress code.

I'm curious, what part of the world are you in, Lennoxcastle? I'm always interested in where these trends are popping up :)

ReplySendWatch