Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
Scared to do clicks?
By IsThisAReel Comments: 1, member since Thu Jul 24, 2014
On Sun Aug 24, 2014 06:11 AM

I've been dancing for a year, and I started hardshoe 8 months ago. I'm learning a new Treble Jig, and it has a lot of clicks in it. I CAN do clicks... in my practice shoes I do them really well, and I get good height, but when I put on my real hardshoes I get so scared that I hit them less often, and when I do they are way smaller. Does anyone have any advice? I'm trying to get over it,but I can't.

6 Replies to Scared to do clicks?

re: Scared to do clicks?
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1532, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Sun Aug 24, 2014 06:02 PM
Practice lying on your back and switching your feet back and forth, turning out from your hips and hitting your heels each time. This will get your feet/legs used to the movement.
I went through a period when I was scared of doing them as well - it was after I had actually chipped my ankle bone when I missed a click accidentally. Obviously it was super painful so it made me scared to do them again. You just have to turn out and keep practicing! :)
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Sun Aug 24, 2014 08:59 PM
Yes, definitely practice them on your back to get used to the motion.

Also, remember that while you're aiming for good height (and you actually CAN do them with decent height), you can slowly work up to that height when you have your shoes on. Start by running your steps with the clicks intentionally low--even just a foot or so off the ground. So low that you can't miss them, and you can't hit your own ankles. Gradually try to get them higher as you build confidence. But for now, just focus on hitting them, even if it's low. It'll be easier to work solid clicks up to a nice height than to continue trying to throw them high and having to break the fear-induced habit of pulling your clicking leg out too far and missing.
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 457, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Mon Aug 25, 2014 07:30 PM
I went through a period where I was terrified of clicks. What helped me a lot is holding on to both sides of a door frame so you can support yourself up off floor and do the click slower. Do millions of clicks like this, and pay attention to how you have to hold you legs, feet, and ankles to get a good click but not smash yourself with your heel.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Aug 26, 2014 02:35 AM
There's no point in practising clicks in practice shoes as they don't have a heel - when I danced in sneakers I hit the actual heels of my feet together in lieu of the shoe's heels, which was useless when it came to putting my hard shoes back on - I'd still be kicking my own heels together rather than the shoe's heels. So first off, forget practising clicks in sneakers.

The second thing is the fear. You have to force yourself to just go for it - yes you might bruise your ankle or kick yourself, but you just have to be prepared to accept a temporary curse-word moment and really go for it. There's no other way, really.

Probably the most important thing though is the position of your feet. If your feet are in the right position - turned out and pointed properly - you won't kick your ankle or foot and your shoe-heels will connect naturally. Point all the way through the instep too, rather than just scrunching your toes.
By fouleafmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 112, member since Thu Mar 04, 2004
On Fri Oct 03, 2014 06:54 PM
Keep in mind that the click itself can be low, you just need the leg that is coming up to continue up to a height afterwards. One thing that I used to do is focus on the click and then pulling the leg up and back down. Remembering that the click itself is low and then pulling your leg high made it a lot easier for me to get over my fear.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1262, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Mon Oct 06, 2014 08:31 AM
These are all great suggestions so far! Another one that helped break my mental block - the fear of hitting my ankles and hurting like HECK - was rolling down my poodle socks over my ankles so they were a few layers thick there. I did end up hitting my ankles a few times, but it hurt much less with the extra padding, and I got over my fear/mental block much more quickly.

ReplySendWatch