Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Pas De Deux
worried about my first pas class
By balletgilly3 Comments: 103, member since Fri Nov 29, 2013
On Wed Aug 27, 2014 04:29 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-08-27 22:53:43 It's precisely because of eating disorders that we don't allow any height/weight ratios to be posted on DDN.

Hey guys,

So later in the year (January) I will have to take my first pas class...I am super nervous for this for a number of reasons:

1. I am a late starter so everyone else in the class will have had pas de deux experience before except me

2. I am super shy and am afraid that as soon as a boy touches my waist I am going to burst out laughing uncontrollably and freak out like a crazy person

3. I am still working on bringing my technique up to the standard of my age group. I am afraid that I will wack my partner in the face and no one will ever want to partner me again.

4. II am not a super skinny dancer. I am fit, in shape, and I eat well, and by no means am I overweight or chubby. But I am not super skinny. What if I am too heavy for my partner?

If anyone with pas de deux experience could please help me out and give me advice or reassurance I would be very grateful. Thank you!

4 Replies to worried about my first pas class

re: worried about my first pas class
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Wed Aug 27, 2014 09:23 PM
Unless you are joining a very advanced pas class in progress, relax and take some cleaning breaths. :) The others may have far less pas experience than you imagine as well. You will be surprised how much fun it can be.

Also, do not worry about not being a super skinny narrow dancer for this class. The best female partners are not the teeny tiny narrow girls with no muscles. The best partners are those that can hold their core.
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:06 PM
1) Everyone starts Pas at different times because we're all ready for it at different times, just like pointe work, you might be the only new dancer in the class but so was everyone else at some point.

2) That is something only you can work on and you'll need to because it could be dangerous for you and your partner.

3) If you whack your partner in the face they will probably count themselves lucky that it was only their face :D

4) If you utilize your core muscles properly then this won't be an issue, even the skinniest dancer will feel like a sack of potatoes if they don't use their core and help their partner, just like melissaga says.
By taxi4ballet Comments: 137, member since Fri Sep 07, 2012
On Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:38 AM
My daughter was told at some point that for pdd practice it is better to wear a cotton leotard rather than a shiny lycra-type one, as cotton gives a better grip when you are being lifted.
By balletgilly3 Comments: 103, member since Fri Nov 29, 2013
On Sat Aug 30, 2014 03:13 PM
thank you everyone for the advice!

ReplySendWatch