Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Adult Dancers
Uncovered: Multi health benefits of music, dance & movement
By NoraStewart Comments: 26, member since Tue Aug 20, 2013
On Mon Sep 01, 2014 01:22 AM

Falling into bed at 4am after a brilliant night of music and dancing in Sydney, followed by a long 3 hour drive home, my head barely hits the pillow and I’m asleep. I wish I could say that happened every night but for me, it doesn’t.

The effects of an over-active brain, the combination of mental exhaustion not being generally physically tired from sitting, too much screen time & effects of screen light, and now the creeping menopause effects of hot flushes and arthritis, all conspire against good sleep

The other undesirable element is the potential for weight gain- not helped by a cold winter and the desire for lots of lovely “comfort” food – beautifully braised lamb shanks with lots of potatoes, baked rice pudding, pumpkin scones (with tons of butter, of course) – need I go on?

My typical downward spiral goes something like this:

-> Wake up and go straight to computer and end up sitting in front of computer long hours
-> Dance & exercise time is short or put off until later in the day
-> Feel guilty about not doing more movement/ dance + dog is wagging tail for walkies
-> Grab a bit of comfort food while doing work -> polish off the lot
-> Go to bed feeling over-full and not tired enough and too hot – toss and turn
-> Wake up feeling tired
-> Morning dance & exercise plans are out the window (too cold to go out) -> Dog is eyeballing me and the front door anxiously- tail down
-> Muscles are stiff and clothes start to feel tight-> pyjamas are still on at 2pm
-> Not feeling great -> more comfort food-> dance & exercise clothes don’t fit anymore- > will do it tomorrow
-> Dog has defected to husband and trots off without a backward glance

Sound familiar?

Happily however, recent research on all these elements - music, exercise & movement, sleep, weight loss, mood, concentration, memory and performance - shows they are all carefully interlinked and it’s not that hard to get your health spiralling upwards by getting moving, listening and dancing to music.

READ MORE of this post at IrishBliss.wordpress.com or wp.me . . .

4 Replies to Uncovered: Multi health benefits of music, dance & movement

re: Uncovered: Multi health benefits of music, dance & movement (karma: 2)
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Sep 01, 2014 08:32 AM
You're preaching to the converted here :D we've all known this for years, that's why we're still dancing!
re: Uncovered: Multi health benefits of music, dance & movement
On Mon Sep 01, 2014 03:35 PM
Hi there - yes, I think we do all intuitively know it's good for us as well as great fun. Thanks for the comment :)
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Tue Sep 02, 2014 02:32 AM
Plus I read jumping 20 times a day can build bone density. Pretty much why I don't quit highland dance!
On Tue Sep 02, 2014 02:56 AM
That's right! My next article will be on specific benefits of different types of Irish dance. Keep jumping and thanks for the comment.

ReplySendWatch