Forum: Music / Choreography:New

Great Depression/Dust Bowl Mature Routine for Recital
By Bronwynne
On Tue Sep 02, 2014 06:44 PM
Edited by Bronwynne (265354) on 2014-09-02 18:45:32

Hi!

I'm looking for songs that were inspired by this era in history (think Dust Bowl Dance by Mumford & Sons) for a group of older dancers.

I'm looking to choreograph some more mature dances for a group of six older girls, as well as a few solos or duets (of various styles).

The theme is "Ain't We Got Fun" and touches on the early 1930s in the US. The younger dancers are performing to songs that are more lighthearted, but the older girls have asked for more mature content dances.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Bron

2 Replies to Great Depression/Dust Bowl Mature Routine for Recital

re: Great Depression/Dust Bowl Mature Routine for Recital
By nadine4
On Sun Sep 07, 2014 04:18 PM
The HBO series Carnivale was set in the dust bowl era; check out the series soundtrack - the music is evocative of that time.

Hope this helps!
re: Great Depression/Dust Bowl Mature Routine for Recital
By ChristinePremium member
On Sun Sep 07, 2014 08:05 PM
Several years ago I saw a video of a Boston Ballet II performance of Brother Can You Spare A Dime?" which was choreographed by Angela D'Valda Sirico. It was simply breathtaking.

I tried to find a clip to post here but I can't find one. (Perhaps others will have better luck) James Whiteside (now principal dancer at ABT) was in the number. The "boys" all wore wrinkled suits from Good Will and the dance involved a bench, LONG BEFORE So You Think You Can Dance did their bench number.

It might work for you needs.

Good luck

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch