Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
What to wear to an art show opening?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2014-09-02 23:39:51

I really don't know. I was invited by a friend who has a few pieces in it. It's all local artists. I haven't decided if I'm going yet or not.

I'm pretty sure if I ask my friend he'd just say "wear your boots." Which does not answer the question.

If it would help I can PM a link to something about the event.

Oh, and it's this Friday.

7 Replies to What to wear to an art show opening?

re: What to wear to an art show opening?
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Wed Sep 03, 2014 01:19 AM
It could be anything from Black Tie to Hipster Grunge! Art shows are hard.
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Wed Sep 03, 2014 06:51 AM
Tishwah wrote:

It could be anything from Black Tie to Hipster Grunge! Art shows are hard.

^This.

If it's for local artists, my guess is that it's on the less formal side. But even if people would show up in combat boots and flannel, me personally I'd still feel more comfortable in something closer to business casual or dressy casual.

The venue should also clue you in a bit. Is it at a school gymnasium or a prestigious gallery? The garage of someone's home or a museum? Etc. Generally, unless the event organizers fumbled somewhere, the formality of the venue will match the formality of the event, with attendees dressing accordingly.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Sep 03, 2014 02:27 PM
Yup, which is why I have no idea. I don't want to embarrass myself if I go the wrong direction clothes-wise.

It's at a gallery. I've never been to it before. But it's downtown and unless I get someone to go with me I won't go (probably have to park a few blocks away and walk - not exactly the safest area to walk in the dark).
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:53 PM
THIS is the exact reason the Little Black Dress is a necessary part of everyone's wardrobe. Even if it's super formal, an LBD would only be slightly casual and if it's jeans and tees then the LBD will be only slightly formal.

That's my vote, anyway :)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Sep 05, 2014 01:38 PM
I always wear all black to this kind of thing. Not necessarily a dress, but for any arts event short of an opera gala or whatever I always fit in wearing slim black trousers, great heels or boots, and a black sweater or top (not a tee.) I either look appropriately artsy or I blend into the background, and both work fine for me.

I am an aggressively plain dresser, normally, so it works for me and my wardrobe of simple clothing, and well-kept black clothing looks more dressy and cool than most of my other stuff, I find.
On Fri Sep 05, 2014 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies! It doesn't look like I will be going, but this is great to know if I ever have something like this to go to again. :)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:23 AM
If you are a dancer---your an artist. You are going to an art exhibit opening at a gallery or some type of exhibition space. Therefore, I would wear an artsy outfit. Your covered every way you can see it.

ReplySendWatch