Forum: Ballet / Costumes

Costumes
A $250 leotard?!?!?!?
By attitudegurl Comments: 151, member since Sat Oct 01, 2011
On Sun Sep 14, 2014 06:42 PM

So, my best friend has a daughter who has just started gymnastics and is on a competition team, she is 9. She has to buy her competition leotard from her coach and the coach says it is $250! Has anyone experienced this or heard of it happening. It does not include a jacket, bag, or anything, the leotard only. Am I crazy that that is incredibly expensive?

Thanks for responses!

5 Replies to A $250 leotard?!?!?!?

re: A $250 leotard?!?!?!?
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Sep 14, 2014 07:48 PM
Well is it sequined and does it have a custom logo or something? I do agree, that is rather ridiculous. Can't she get a cheaper one? It's not unheard of for gymnastics leos to be higher than $300 but if it is over her budget most cost around $70
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Sun Sep 14, 2014 07:58 PM
Fairly normal...you definitely won't get a competitive gymnastics Leo for under $150. That's not much more than the local gym has the younger levels pay...older levels are more than $250. It is shocking to a dancer, but not at all unusual for the gymnastics world. Expensive fabric, special construction, often intricate designs and or jewels. Its just a different world.

Think of it kind of like competitive tutus. You CAN find a few cheap ones for ~$80...but they would be super simple and cheap construction. It isn't uncommon to spend hundreds on a tutu for competitions.
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Mon Sep 15, 2014 01:26 AM
If it's custom embroidered, stoned, and made to measure, the seamstress' hours alone would make it worth that, not to mention the materials.

Can't she just take very good care of it and sell it on quickly? Being 9 she'll probably outgrow it in no time anyway. Then she can recoup some of the money.
By attitudegurl Comments: 151, member since Sat Oct 01, 2011
On Mon Sep 15, 2014 03:23 PM
Thank you everyone for responding...I"ll tell her mother. You're right, to a dancer, it sounds crazy!!!!!!! She is going to ask the coach who is the manufacturer and how it is made, but, gosh wowie!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Sep 15, 2014 05:17 PM
Also have her ask if they keep the same design year to year...if so then older girls will often sell Leos to younger members to help afford new ones (when they outgrow their current size). This is often at a good discount... Most at my location sell for half price, which helps. Gymnastics comes with high costs, including meet fees and grips and warmups. Help your sister get over the shock and make sure she knows the "season budget" of the team...how much including travel they will likely have to spend.

ReplySendWatch