Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Highland - Adult Dancers
Mixed age class
By fusilli Comments: 31, member since Sun Oct 06, 2013
On Fri Sep 19, 2014 04:19 PM

I started a new class this week as the adult only class I had been going to is not a suitable time and it was a real find. A few adults, down to preschoolers. The adults were not too advanced for me to feel out my depth and were very welcoming, and the children were excellent company as well which isn't always the case. Doing the reel with another adult, teenager and an 8 year old was good fun apart from the height difference. I've huge respect for a teacher who can run a class this way with age no barrier to learning or support to each other.

Now if there were more classes like this and fewer that only make young girls feel welcome........

Roll on competitions.

4 Replies to Mixed age class

re: Mixed age class
By puddelilly Comments: 586, member since Thu Sep 11, 2008
On Sun Sep 21, 2014 05:59 AM
Sounds like my class when I was little. I was the youngest at 4 - almost 5, and they went up to the moms of some of the teenage dancers. It was a blast! Glad to hear the tradition is alive!
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Mon Sep 22, 2014 08:29 AM
In my experience, mixed age classes work very well. Kids grow at drastically different rates, so practicing reels with different heights is a great experience. I've both taught and been taught in many multi-aged groups, and it always worked well for me. Glad to hear you are having a great experience! :)
By Dancingtrickster Comments: 6, member since Sat Sep 27, 2014
On Tue Oct 14, 2014 04:22 AM
Teaching a mixed class, myself, still remains a challenge. I find most kids don't really mind dancing in a group with a major difference in age, whereas adults don't always take it for granted to be in a mixed ages class. I've seen adult dancers leave because of it. Alas...
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Thu Oct 30, 2014 09:05 PM
Our Premier class at our studio has everyone from a small-for-her-age 11-year-old to an almost-32-year-old (that's me), and a whole range in between. It works fine. Might be a little harder with different levels all in one class, though-- when I started, it was a group that included everyone from me (22 at the time) to really little kids, and it was a bit hard, because I and the other older people progressed faster.

Our 11-year-old once had to fill in for the reel with an older group. Apparently they were afraid they'd crush her... and cool as a cucumber, she waltzed up and was like, "Nah, I dance with the big girls all the time."

ReplySendWatch