Forum: Advice / Beauty

Beauty
Need a new primer
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Sep 22, 2014 05:55 PM

My favorite face primer was discontinued. It was from Victoria's Secret.

I'm having trouble finding a replacement. I tried one by Almay, but it feels too sticky and my foundation doesn't go smooth over it. I have a small sample of Benefits Porefessional and I like it except for it doesn't have SPF.

Some I am considering trying are:
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15
NARS Pro-Prime™ Light SPF 15
Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer SPF 20

These are all expensive. But if any of them are as awesome as the VS one, I'll splurge for it.

Have your tried any of these? Any suggestions?

13 Replies to Need a new primer

re: Need a new primer
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Wed Sep 24, 2014 05:32 AM
Depends on what you need it for. Personally, moisturiser just works better in terms of putting on a smooth base and hydrating the skin for much longer. A good quality one is generally cheaper and you get more product. Does just the same job as a regular primer and if you have dry or patchy skin, it works better than a primer in handling that. In terms of foundation longevity, it's really just the same.

But anyway, if you need it for pore minimising, I use the Two Faced Poreless Primer and it's pretty good, only downside is that with all pore filling primers the silicone content is high.
The Laura Mercier Radiance primer is a really good all round primer as well, it's actually surprisingly light and does a good job with filling in pores. This is basically the only primer I will wear. I think (!) it has a lower silicone content than most. In my experience, higher silicone based primers give that slightly heavy feel and I find them strangely drying. Like my skin would feel nice and smooth with the primer and even look a little dewy, but after removing it, it just feels parched.
Hourglass Viel has no silicone and if you have combination-oily skin, definitely go for it. I've been meaning to try it, but damn, the price here! ><

If you want to remove redness or dullness, I think Smashbox has some tinted primers? I can't remember the brand, but Wayne Goss in general gives plenty of honest advice on primers and reviews/features many of them. It's how I found the Laura Mercier and it really is good!

But overall, I only ever use a primer for a special event so it's worth it to splurge. For everyday or days where you won't be heavily photographed, just a moisturiser will do.
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Wed Sep 24, 2014 05:52 AM
I use NYX Studio Perfect Photo-Loving Primer. I've used Smashbox before and imo NYX is better (and less expensive to boot). The NYX leaves a perfectly smooth canvas for my foundation and when I use that primer + foundation mixed w/ moisturizer, my skin looks so good and not makeup-y at all. It does not have SPF.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Sep 24, 2014 08:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've tried just my moisturizer or just sunscreen, but it feels funky. Probably just because it's been years since I've done that. I really like my moisturizer (Clinque's moisture surge).

I do have combination oily skin.

I think I am going to buy the Hourglass Veil one...they have a small one (.333 ounce) for $18. So, I can try it without spending more than $50.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:02 AM
Have you looked on ebay or amazon to see if anyone is selling extra's they have. Some people stock up on things that are being discontinued to make a profit off of it. Or they may have gotten a free sample or something that they don't plan on ever using. Might be worth a shot, for a least a short term solution or to save for special occasions.
On Wed Sep 24, 2014 02:01 PM
Moonlitefairy06 wrote:

Have you looked on ebay or amazon to see if anyone is selling extra's they have. Some people stock up on things that are being discontinued to make a profit off of it. Or they may have gotten a free sample or something that they don't plan on ever using. Might be worth a shot, for a least a short term solution or to save for special occasions.

I just did and OMG, they are going for $40. Some one is selling a sample for $30. I saw one listed for $92.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:50 PM
How much were they normally?
On Thu Sep 25, 2014 02:11 PM
Normally it's $18.
On Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:21 PM
majere wrote:

Normally it's $18.

wow. If it's in such high demand I wonder why VS discontinued it. I usually get things on ebay when it's cheaper than going directly through a regular vendor.
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Fri Sep 26, 2014 09:37 AM
Was it sort of like a clear gel/silicon kind of texture? Cause, I loved that, and was sad when I couldn't find it anymore. Smashbox has something very similar if that helps.
By Jackie_dennis Comments: 9, member since Sun Nov 25, 2012
On Fri Sep 26, 2014 08:26 PM
This is technically not a primer, but I absolutely love my BB cream. I have tried all different brands of BB cream, and they seem to work about the same. I currently use Almay BB Cream, and I absolutely love it. I put it on before I put on the rest of my make up. It sets a nice base for my powder foundation. I have tried CC cream before, but have not found it as useful. Smashbox also makes a great primer, but it is more on the expensive side. They have different types for the look you are looking for. You can find BB cream at any convince store like CVS, Walgreens, or Target. Hope this helps!
On Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:16 PM
Kettricken wrote:

Was it sort of like a clear gel/silicon kind of texture? Cause, I loved that, and was sad when I couldn't find it anymore. Smashbox has something very similar if that helps.

Yes. It's kind of has a white tint to it. :)

I'm going to Sephora in the morning to look at primers.
On Sat Sep 27, 2014 01:38 PM
So, I went to Sephora and bought the small Hourglass Veil primer. I rubbed pretty much all of the testers on the back of my hands to see what they feel like and that one felt the best. The NARS with SPF smelled like sunscreen so that was a no-go. The Smashbox one was pretty good too, but the Hourglass Veil felt better.

It was the first time I've been in a Sephora and it was a magical place.
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2312, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:41 AM
I've used the Hourglass one for about a year now. It's really, really lovely. Smooths over the skin and definitely helps prolong makeup (my foundation/BB cream would be gone by lunchtime if I didn't use primer), but it doesn't have the silicone-y feel of other primers I've tried. It also doesn't break me out, which is a concern of mine with primers. The only hassle is that once you get to the bottom of the jar, you can get the pump to pump out the very last of the product. I always stuck a q-tip in there to dig out the very last of it.

If you want to try something slightly less expensive, I have had equal success with the Clinique Universal Superprimer.

ReplySendWatch