Forum: General / Homework Help

Homework Help
Microsoft Access or OpenOffice Base?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:46 PM

Is anyone familiar? Which is easier to use? For one of my classes we need to use one of these, I've never used either one.

I do not have Access on my home computer but it is on our staff PCs at work (not that that really helps me with my homework, but I guess I could use the work room PC on my lunch breaks if I have too). I can try to download the month trial.

With OpenOffice...if it is easy to use I'll use it. I've used their word processor before I purchased Microsoft Office (sans Access, apparently) - and it was just okay. Not a huge fan.

I'm not really psyched about having to download or purchase anything for this class. I checked my schools IT department and while they have many Microsoft products you can download for free Access is not one of them.

4 Replies to Microsoft Access or OpenOffice Base?

re: Microsoft Access or OpenOffice Base?
By Sumayah Comments: 6945, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:54 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2014-09-29 22:56:26
I use open office and you can save as a .doc but not as a .docx which really doesn't matter. You can save as a .pdf and really, that was almost more important to me. I use the excel based program a bunch too. It's a great free program, but if you're looking to purchade something, you'll get more miles out of Microsoft Office.
By Tishwah Comments: 587, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:26 PM
I use OpenOffice by preference now.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Sep 30, 2014 07:52 AM
I'm going to go with OpenOffice Base. I was going to do a free month trial of Access (well of Office 365) but you have to give a credit card and after the month they start charging for it. Access by its self costs $109. Since I already have word, excel, power point and one note...I do not see any advantage to that.

Now I just have to figure out how to use the thing.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 640, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Oct 04, 2014 07:58 AM
Maybe it's too late to give advice, I am very familiar with MS Access, though I have never personally used either of them.

MS Access, while a very good database build/management software package, is very cumbersome to learn and use, and from what I have found/seen at work is that you really have to find someone who knows Access well, and then hang onto them and treat them like gold. One of our major data-bases at work was built in Access, and the only reason we keep an employee around is because he built it and he is the only one who knows how to tweak it when we have changes that need to be made to it.

Over the years, I have actually seen high-level commanders, more than once mind you, administratively re-assign Forces members from other units to their unit just because the member knew how to build data-bases using MS Access.

I would stick with your decision to go with MS Open Office.

ReplySendWatch