Forum: General / Ballroom / Ballroom

Ballroom
What to charge for private lessons.
By phoebemae Comments: 175, member since Sat Dec 03, 2005
On Fri Oct 03, 2014 07:58 PM

I am a dance studio owner that added ballroom this year to our curriculum. I hired a teacher as my knowledge in this field isn't great. The couples pay $40 a month. One of the couples wants to have private lessons for their wedding dance. I'm not sure what to charge for private lessons. They would be an hour. Any suggestions are helpful:) I am also looking to get more interest in our new program. Any advice on how to advertise would be great!

2 Replies to What to charge for private lessons.

re: What to charge for private lessons.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Oct 04, 2014 08:40 AM
How many couples do you allow into a group lesson and how much are you paying your instructor? That will give you an idea of your profit margins.

You want to be able to make a profit with a private lesson so I would take your instructors rate and the hourly facility costs, if you have a receptionist then you'll need to add in a portion of that cost too and then decide how much profit you want to make. We normally say to people if they book for a session of four private lessons they get a slight discount, I think it's 5%, if they book ten lessons then it's a 10% discount, of course if you decide to do that then you'll need to check how this will affect your profit margins.
re: What to charge for private lessons.
By Patineur Comments: 10, member since Thu Jan 02, 2014
On Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:55 AM
Depends the area of the country and what other instructors charge. I paid $65 (a little more for couple) outside of New York but in NYC the cost of a private lessons for 1-2 persons is usually $95 to $125 depending on teacher's demand and level of experience and the number of lessons purchased in a package. In outer boroughs, the cost is $80.

ReplySendWatch