Forum: Ballet / Character Ballet

Character Ballet
Help, I've been cast in a character role but I've never taken character
By vivien_o Comments: 51, member since Sat Jun 14, 2014
On Sat Oct 04, 2014 09:04 AM

So I've been cast in my dance school's Nutcracker and I'm a candy cane, and on the cast list it says it's a character role. However, I've never taken character before (I've only been dancing for a year and I'm currently in a RAD syllabus school, I'm in intermediate foundation so there's no character) and I have no idea what I'm doing! I'm a musical theatre actress, so I've used character shoes before (I have a pair of tan Capezios and a pair of black Capezios, however I cut the straps off of the black ones because I had a really fast quickchange in a previous musical) but they're not the ones the school uses (I'm emailing the director about which ones to get).

Long story short, is character hard? Is there anything I need to know before getting myself into this? Is it much different from ballet?

3 Replies to Help, I've been cast in a character role but I've never taken character

re: Help, I've been cast in a character role but I've never taken character
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:14 AM
Character is just ballet done in the style of a national dance. If you watch Swan Lake you'll see all of the dances done when the six princesses come to see if the prince wants to marry them in act 3. Those are character dances, you're not really watching a Hungarian Czardas, you're watching a ballet version of it.

I've never heard of Candy Canes dancing in character shoes though, perhaps they just mean it's a dance with a character.
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Sun Oct 05, 2014 08:12 PM
The candy cane music is also referred to as Russian. The Nuts I've seen that call it Russian have dancers in Russian folk type costumes instead of Candy Cane costumes and they do wear character shoes. metroland.net . . . is a photo of one version.

I think this is a perfect part for someone from a more musical theater background!
By vivien_o Comments: 51, member since Sat Jun 14, 2014
On Mon Oct 06, 2014 03:34 PM
Thank you! It definitely is a character role, and my director said that I would be capable of picking it up quickly. I'm going to get ahold of proper character shoes once I get back to the studio.

ReplySendWatch