Poll: Arts / Pets

Help me name my new doggy!
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 08:01 AM

I'm terrible at names. It takes me a century and a half to name something. One time I had to name a litter of 6 kittens that I literally went into the kitchen and named them after cutlery.
My husband is worse. He suggested the name Broom because the dog has a tail that's like a broom. Imagine, at the dog park "Broom! Come here, Broom! Good boy, Broom!" He also has a habit of naming things after food which he got from his dad. His German Shep was named Haribo and when I task him with naming cats it's always "Stayk" or "Baykon", his dad's G. Shep is named Heinz Ketchup or just Heinz for short.

We have another dog named Petya who I've had for the full almost 10 years of his life and this dog is to be his new brother/sister. He got very sad when my in laws' German Shep had to go back home because he loved having a furry friend.

About the new dog:
Independent, super friendly, very quiet, very active and easily excited.
After a good month of searching and arguing over getting a husky or a german shepherd, it took just one look and both of us melted at a 1 year old cream coloured husky/german shepherd mix at the local deathrow pound.

All the other dogs were barking and jumping around in their stalls, but this guy just slowly walked up to us, didn't make a peep and said hi just looking at us with so much love and friendliness in his eyes. It was shocking to think that he was only 2 days away from being euthanised because he was such a good boy, very active and a bit jumpy, but he was super excited finally coming out of a cage he had been stuck in all day.

He got to meet Petya and the two were chasing each other in a little gated grass area in the pound. Instant friends. :)

Pictures would be coming on Friday when we pick him up after he gets his vet work done.

12 Replies to Help me name my new doggy!

re: Help me name my new doggy!
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:55 AM
Buddy... Cause he sounds like a good friend.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:13 AM
Pavlov, but only if you train him to eat when he hears a bell.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:52 AM
I agree with Pavlov :)

When I was a kid there was a TV show where they had a dog called Deefer as in D for Dog, I always thought that was a good name for a dog too!
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 01:05 PM
I know someone who named their dog Diogee. D-O-G. Diogee.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 02:59 PM
^ There's a certain dance netter who named their cat Teebee Dee, because at first it was "TBD"...as in "to be decided". So now she's Teebee.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 07:10 PM
Every dog needs a job. If I ever get another dog I'm going to give it a vacuum cleaner (sweeper, in some parts...) name.

Hoover
Electra (short for Electrolux)
Oric
Kennmore

When my kids were little, the dog was just like the catfish in the bottom of the fish tank. The dog was always stationed next to the high chair, ready to dart under the table or benches as needed.

Other jobs might include door bell or burglar alarm or even psychologist.

Let us know what you decide.

Keep On Dancing*
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Wed Oct 08, 2014 07:11 AM
Can you post a picture of him? Both for "yay, cute puppy!" and also to see if any particular name would 'fit' his bearing best. I'm also leaning towards Pavlov, but I can see a particular dog being suited for Kaiser.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:28 PM
I like Pavlov. Because he'd be Pavlov the dog, instead of Pavlov's dog.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Wed Oct 08, 2014 01:31 PM
Pavlov. Because Pavlov and Petya sound nice together. :)
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:08 AM
Here's the baby. The vet told us that he is super healthy, quiet, curious and very alert. We have to separate him and Petya because they think he might be incubating kennel cough. According to the vet he's a purebred husky and only 9 months old. He...is difficult to train. Doesn't care for treats but I think he still needs time to settle in. He was crying from 5:30 in the morning to be let in but he can't for the next 13 days. He isn't big on playing but he LOVES exploring. He's sniffed everything and everyone at least 10 times over
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Mon Oct 13, 2014 07:23 AM
Oh yeah, he definitely looks like a Pavlov. Those eyes are stunning!
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Mon Oct 13, 2014 08:31 AM
Pavlov.
Pavlov, the alleged scientist, deserves to be called a dog because of his own cruelty to dogs.

ReplySendWatch