Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
My arabesque is frustrating.
By Kittydoodles Comments: 76, member since Sun Sep 14, 2014
On Fri Oct 17, 2014 02:34 PM

Hey so I'm new here :) Anyway so I've been dancing since elementary school and now I'm in high school, and one thing I've always disliked it my arabesque. It barely goes above 90 degrees (unless I'm doing a penche) I have my splits and can port de bras backward just fine on both legs, so what gives? Is it a strength issue? How can I hold them higher and longer? Thanks! (Oh and btw my hips were injured last year could that be the problem?)

4 Replies to My arabesque is frustrating.

re: My arabesque is frustrating.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Oct 17, 2014 03:11 PM
It's really difficult to tell without watching you however the hip injury could well have something to do with it.

You say you can do a backwards port de bras so we can probably rule out a tight lower back. You also say you have your splits that means you should have the required flexibility in your quads. You don't mention hamstring strength and arabesque, a good one requires quite a bit of hamstring strength. You also don't mention abdominal strength, this is one of the most difficult positions to get the abs to fire properly, they're in extension and to get a concentric contraction through an extended muscle is quite a feat!

Given what you've said and putting the old hip injury out of the way for now I would work on hamstring and ab strength.
On Fri Oct 17, 2014 03:44 PM
Thank you very much! I'm sure it'll help :)
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Oct 17, 2014 08:33 PM
Just out of interest what was the hip injury you had?
On Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:28 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply :) I don't exactly know what it was, but I had to lay on dowels because my hips were out of alignment or something. I think it had something to do with my sacrum. My left hip still pops like crazy but it doesn't hurt anymore.

ReplySendWatch