Forum: Advice / Emergency

Emergency
Decided whether or not to go to Chicago next year.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Oct 21, 2014 01:15 PM
Locked by majere (186163) on 2014-10-26 22:16:29 'cause I got my tickets.

Time sensitive. Just need some advice. My mom and I are thinking about buying tickets for the Foo Fighters concert next August in Chicago. It's a ten hour drive and we would make a weekend out of it.

We are just debating how soon after that they would end up coming here. We would not mind one bit seeing them twice on the same tour, but since the tour starts in August 2015 they might not get here until 2016.

First we were saying just us. Because my brother doesn't really like the Foo Fighters and my dad hates to travel. But my mom started to say it doesn't seem fair for us to go off and have fun and leave them at home. Eh, I've done plenty of travelling with out any of them and I would not be jealous if they went somewhere with out me. I don't like travelling with my dad because he always gets mad about something or gets us lost.

My mom asked my dad last night and was cool with my mom and I going alone. But he would prefer us to fly. Which I object to because it is so much more expensive. My mom is going to discuss with my dad today about all of us going. Which, I'm kind of iffy on because when I suggested going with my mom, I was going to pay for everything.

But what I really need to think about is should we go at all? I feel sure that they are going to come here to Oklahoma, they did on the last tour. But it might be a while.

8 Replies to Decided whether or not to go to Chicago next year.

re: Decided whether or not to go to Chicago next year.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Oct 21, 2014 01:40 PM
Buy the time you drive from Oklahoma to Chicago and return you may spend as much in gas as air fare. Both Tulsa and Oklahoma City have flights to Chicago Midway airport and Chicago has a lot of public transportation. If you book a couple weeks in advance and go mid day you can get internet fares for as low as $114 each way. At the moment they only are accepting reservations through April 2015, but in maybe something to consider. Chicago is a bear to drive in (I have experience, my mom used to live there.)

I picked some days at random to check fares and you can fly from either Tulsa or Oklahoma city to O'Hare for about $285 Round Trip. Southwest to Midway could be as low as $228 RT., but more typically $250ish.

The El/Subway goes to Midway. There are also flights on other airlines to O'Hare which also has good public transportation. SW tends to be cheaper and they don't charge for checking bags. They are going to play at Wrigley field (where the Cubs play) so that is the near North side...a decent area with public transportation nearby (for ball games.) Chicago is worth exploring and has a great downtown. You have plenty of time to do your homework. Concerts are in late August. Plan a hotel near the venue or down town (I'd advise against a hotel in the Midway airport area...the airport is safe but the surrounding area a bit sketchy. There are a lot of hotels near O'Hare airport (my late mom lived only 1/2 mile away and we stayed in area hotels when we visited her...before she and my stepfather moved to Florida.

Jon
By dancin_til_death Comments: 4381, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Tue Oct 21, 2014 04:42 PM
Fly! and tell your Mum you want it to be a mother daughter trip! I also don't like travelling with both parents and Mum and I have had 2 big trips together, one to China, and one to Nepal. Both were great fun.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Oct 21, 2014 05:05 PM
My brother has said he does not want to go. So, that's good. It also means my dad will have to stay home too, so he can take my brother to work (my brother doesn't drive and public transit here sucks).

Flying does sound better than 10hrs of driving. But, my mom has been to O'Hare and hates it. Also, she said she would have to check a bag because she would have to bring all of her make up. I can work on it.

Round trip it would cost $175-250 on gas (depending on which car we take and current gas prices).
On Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 PM
I got my tickets!!!!!!

I'm not familiar with Wrigley Field and I'm not sure that the tickets are actually next to each other or not :( It's okay if they are not. The sections are next to each other and the rows are the same but one is seat 12 in one section and the other is seat 112 in the other. I tried looking at seating charts, I think they might be next to each other, but I'm not sure.

Also, While I have your attention. Should I go ahead and book the hotel? Or wait? I'm afraid if I wait there might not be any rooms in the closer hotels.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 07:06 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2014-10-25 07:18:41
I would vote that you all go. I did my 1.5 yr engineering fellowship in Chicago and I just love the city. There is plenty that your dad and brother can do in town in August besides going to the concert with you all. They could spend the entire weekend in town by them selves having fun and never even see you or your mother the entire weekend.

I was going to suggest they take in a ball game at Wrigley Field v. going to the concert, but since Wrigley is where the concert is going to be held, well then.... they'll just have to go to the Southside and catch a White Sox game instead!!

Feel free to PM me if you would like more ideas on what they could do. Again, there really is a ton to do in that town. Let me know what things they like and I can most likely come up with some suggestions for you all.

P.S - Yes, by all means do book a hotel now. It's never too early to make plans for a fun trip. And unlike air fares, hotel pricing is usually not too volatile so mostly likely the prices will increase by next. I know there are tons of internet sites that help you find last minute good deals, but I have seen other's use them only to find out that the pricing came with many strings attached or if something happened they were out of luck with the hotel as they did not book their hotel reservations with the hotel itself.
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 07:18 AM
Sarahdncr wrote:

I would vote that you all go. I did my 1.5 yr engineering fellowship in Chicago and I just love the city. There is plenty that your dad and brother can do in town in August besides going to the concert with you all. They could spend the entire weekend in town by them selves having fun and never even see you or your mother the entire weekend.

I was going to suggest they take in a ball game at Wrigley Field v. going to the concert, but since Wrigley is where the concert is going to be held, well then.... they'll just have to go to the Southside and catch a White Sox game instead!!

Feel free to PM me if you would like more ideas on what they could do. Again, there really is a ton to do in that town. Let me know what things they like and I can most likely come up with some suggestions for you all.

Thanks. :)

My grandmother and my cousin might be coming with us. If we can get two more tickets on Monday. My cousin loves the Foo Fighters, and my grandmother likes going to concerts. My mom was telling her about it last night and she was like "can you try to get two more tickets."
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 09:26 AM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2014-10-25 09:27:53
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2014-10-25 09:28:21
Heck yes you should come! I live in Chicago! :P You can hang with Trevor and me! :D

ETA: PM me tonight on FB. Trevor and I will help you find a suitable place to stay. :) Public transit in this city works very well, we can help with that too. :)
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 AM
Dancing_EMT wrote:

Heck yes you should come! I live in Chicago! :P You can hang with Trevor and me! :D

ETA: PM me tonight on FB. Trevor and I will help you find a suitable place to stay. :) Public transit in this city works very well, we can help with that too. :)

:D

Now my aunt is wanting to come too (she hates being left out of anything that my grandmother does). This is turning into a thing.

I called the box office and the tickets I purchased are indeed right next to each other.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed