Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Politics & Current Affairs
Soldier killed in the line of duty in Canada. (karma: 1)
By shmcdona Comments: 857, member since Sat May 01, 2004
On Wed Oct 22, 2014 04:54 PM
Edited by shmcdona (92187) on 2014-10-22 16:56:57

Please take a moment to honour this soldier killed in the line of duty in Ottawa, Canada today. This isn't posted for debate, I just want his name to be known as I believe he should be honoured and remembered, not the shooter.
Thank you Nathan Cirillo. May you Rest in Peace.

www.cbc.ca . . .

Here is the man who they believe stopped the shooter. He should be honoured too.

www.cbc.ca . . .

4 Replies to Soldier killed in the line of duty in Canada.

re: Soldier killed in the line of duty in Canada.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:15 PM
Thank you for posting this.

Today was a horrible day. I imagine for Canadians it must have felt like September 11, 2001 felt to Americans. I am so, so, sorry.

The world has gone crazy, it seems.

I hope as this terrible day unwinds, the people of Canada will experience what we here in America did on September 12, 2001.... we were stronger, kinder, more determined than ever, that evil would not rob the way of life we'd worked so hard to build. Honestly, it was just like Dickens. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

We saw this again after the attack at the Boston Marathon... Boston Strong? You betcha! Again, I am so sorry but I know you will not be defeated by this.

My thoughts are with all those suffering in Canada tonight. May you all find peace.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
re: Soldier killed in the line of duty in Canada. (karma: 1)
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2312, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Thu Oct 23, 2014 07:03 PM
Thank you schmcdona and Christine. I live in Ottawa and work about a block away from the shootings. I also passed the soldiers on my way to work. It's been an incredibly heartbreaking couple of days, but us Ottawans -- and Canadians -- are going to be OK. We're strong in a quiet kind of way.
re: Soldier killed in the line of duty in Canada.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Oct 24, 2014 07:09 AM
Just checking in to see how y'all are doing. The third day is usually harder than we think it's going to be.

The good news..... sometime around day 5 or 6, most of us were able to finally sleep, finally eat normally (as in the beginning some couldn't eat at all and some bulked up on meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and cornstarch pudding...comfort food)and able put on some music and dance, however tenderly. The light at the end of the tunnel.

I haven't been able to watch any of the news coverage from Canada because, frankly, it sets off a kind of PTSD that is exacerbated by the FBI searching my woods for one of the FBI's ten most wanted.... these are trying times, indeed. However, I suspect for the next few days you will be pounded with nothing but coverage of this tragedy, which kind of holds everyone static in this state of terror. Don't be afraid to turn it off!

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
re: Soldier killed in the line of duty in Canada. (karma: 1)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 AM
Our news has actually been just the opposite (at least from Canadian networks) Christine. Quiet, respectful, and non-sensational. It's been incredible. I know the American networks started on on terrorism and ISIS pretty fast, but we were very lucky to receive much more fact-based, reasoned coverage. And ultimately, this appears to be the act of a disturbed man who was self-radicalized, not an organized strike, so it's good that our networks did hold off on the blaming.

While it is a tragedy, as every violent death is, we were extremely fortunate that only one person was killed, thanks to Kevin Vickers and the fact that Zehaf-Bibeau did not have a more powerful weapon.

ReplySendWatch