Forum: Adults / 20 Something

20 Something
Romantic Disney getaway? (karma: 1)
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2613, member since Fri Dec 31, 2004
On Wed Oct 22, 2014 06:07 PM

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I are thinking about maybe going away for March break in 2015 (first week of March).

We have wanted to go to Disney World in Florida for a long time... has anyone gone as a couple and if so, do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

I have browsed hotel options online and while we would LOVE to stay at a Disney hotel... because of the cost, I am not sure this will be possible. We know that going to Disney can be very expensive, so we are looking to see if we can do it on a budget.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Natasha

8 Replies to Romantic Disney getaway?

re: Romantic Disney getaway? (karma: 2)
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Thu Oct 23, 2014 07:01 AM
My husband and I went this summer! It was amazing. We are 32, and will always be kids at heart. We called it our anniversary, even though it was a couple months late, since we can't get away around our actual date.

We stayed at All Star Sports, which was actually pretty reasonable. It is nice to be able to take the buses to any of the resorts and other properties, and not worry about parking (which would also be another expense). We booked online, which was surprisingly easy. We took our time with it, and my husband crunched the numbers on different options and whatnot.

By being there without kids, it was a very new experience. (we don't have our own children, but we have usually gone with nieces/younger family members) There are some nicer places to eat that we would always have passed on before, but loved for us. You can catch the rides and shows you want, not what the kids are able to do, or currently obsessed with.

When we went, there was a special where we got the basic dining plan for free. My husband (like I said, numbers guru), says that purchasing a dining plan CAN be worth it, but you have to really watch. Otherwise, you may not save any money, or actually waste some. I let him handle that, lol. He would tell me when it was or wasn't worth it to use my snack credits, for instance.

You can book a TON of stuff in advance, too. Fast Passes, dining, shows. It was nice to have a general schedule, so we weren't overwhelmed. Also, the mobile app is very handy for that stuff too. You can change your plans while standing in line.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any other questions!
re: Romantic Disney getaway? (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:04 AM
The first week in March is actually the end of one of the "special rate" seasons at Disney Resorts.

There are so many advantages to staying at the value resorts, even though they are not as glamorous and "Disney" over the top as say, The Beach Club, or the Grand Floridian, you might be surprised how affordable they are.

The rooms are comparable to The Red Roof but they are always clean and comfortable, if not "swanky". They are right near the parks so you really save a lot of time. They have parking lots that adjoin the rooms and have laundry facilities. It is actually easier to get from your room to the car at the All Star than at the Beach Club, and when you compare the price? You are going to spending most of your time at the park or at the restaurants anyway, not hanging out in your room.

The other thing to consider is free parking at the parks.... $17.00/day. Sometimes these value rooms can be had for as little as $110.00 so if you save the cost of parking it is almost reasonable. Disney transportation is also a perk if you fly, you may not have to rent a car....

One thing you can do regardless of where you stay is book your dinner reservations now. You owe it to yourselves to have a really romantic dinner that you couldn't enjoy properly if you had kids. My nephew proposed to his wife over dessert after dinner at Cinderella's Castle. Disney assisted in the production. The ring was in a little glass slipper, he went down on his knee, the cast sighed and waved. It was very romantic. Even if you only can afford one "big deal" experience, you should treat yourselves even if you have to eat ham sandwiches for breakfast and lunch a few days. (You can get a frig in your room at the Disney value rooms but it costs extra....unless you have a medical need, in which case it's free.)

That all said about on site...

I you are only going to go to the park a few times, and plan to do other things like Downtown Disney, or Harry Potter (Universal) you can't beat the Residence Inn out by Sea World. Great comp breakfast every day, you can cook your own meals and save a ton of $$ and time on restaurants on days when you want to see the sights.

The final recommendation is if you really want to go on the cheap, The Red Roof Inn in Kissimmee is really reasonable and it is right around the corner from Give Kids the World.... you can volunteer if you send in the paperwork in time, and they always have Disney characters there for the kids... almost every day and night! (Sorry... I have to plug my favorite charity...)

I hope you have a great time.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Romantic Disney getaway? (karma: 2)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 AM
There are a lot of hotels/motels in Kissimmee (South edge of Disney and most have shuttles to the park. Book early though, this is a busy time as more and more colleges and schools have spring break on other than Easter week. I own a time share right across from Disney, and I couldn't get my kids and there family in it during March, though I did get an exchange with another resort. I haven't used them because I always rent a car, but check the Kissimmee bus system, part of the Orlando-wide LYNX bus system. Here are some details. www.tripadvisor.com . . . Be sure to check for updates. Every hotel/motel restaurant chain is on HWY 192 in Kissimmee and also on the NE side of Disney in the Lake Buena Vista area. Go to a book store and get a guide on Disney World. Seeing attractions and tactics for getting on rides are useful to know (Hint....don't go to Space Mountain when the park opens...most rides are readily available once the little rug rats poop out.) Investigate package tickets. Disney isn't cheap by any means and staying within the park may be advantageous because tickets are in the package. Disney is a place for one to do their homework. I even do homework (though my kids are grown) and shop around. For ten years, when my mom was living, and living near there, we went down every year to see her (bought the timeshare for that purpose) and went to various parks each year. I like Sea World also, but I have been disappointed with Universal Studios (unless you go to the separate park with the rides.)

Jon
re: Romantic Disney getaway?
On Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:47 AM
I have to agree with Jon about Universal. It is more expensive than Disney and doesn't have the same Disney Magic in the customer service end. They are generous to wish kids though so I'll just say perhaps it is just a matter of taste. Some people like vanilla ice cream, some like chocolate, some don't like ice cream at all.

What are your travel plans? Perhaps we could be more helpful if we know the specifics.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Romantic Disney getaway? (karma: 1)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 09:33 AM
My husband and I honeymooned at Disney. We loved it.

Stay in one of the mid-rate or budget hotels. Get the Disney dining deluxe plan. They include all of the really nice restaurants and you won't have to deal with as many screaming bratty kids as you would in the "regular" restaurants.

STAY ON DISNEY PROPERTY. I can't say this enough. Parking is ridiculous for Disney. If you stay on property, you have their transportation service, which is awesome.

If you fly, they have a free shuttle from the Orlando airport. :D
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2613, member since Fri Dec 31, 2004
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 06:12 PM
I am so thankful for the great advice above! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

In terms of travel plans, if we were to do this, we would fly into Orlando on the Saturday (Feb 28) and fly out the following Saturday (March 7). Or perhaps Sunday to Sunday, although I prefer Saturday.

I am pretty sure that we will end up staying at a value Disney resort... and if not, then a value resort in the area. We would prefer to spend our money on nice meals and of course, the parks!

I also would LOVE to visit Harry Potter World at Universal Studios. Is it worth it to buy a one day pass for Universal? As for Disney, I have noticed that buying a "hopper" pass is quite reasonable.

Thank you again!!!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 07:34 PM
Don't buy a hopper pass unless you're positive you'll use it. We went last summer, paid for a hopper pass every single day (times three people), never once used it. It was just a big waste.

If you stay off Disney property, then you have to get some sort of vehicle to get you back to the park (so there's a couple hundred to rent a car, and keep gas in it, cause you have to return them full...), plus money every day to park. Stay on Disney property, you can catch the bus back and forth to whatever park you're going to, and keep the rental car and parking money to go do something else with!
On Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:57 PM
I read all the Harry Potter books so the "look" of the place was worth the ridiculously high price of a ticket. The lines are long and Universal does not have the "Disney Magic" in customer service.

That said.... they are very nice to wish kids so I will not elaborate on the negatives and say some good things. The Butterbeer is fun, the 3 Broomsticks Restaurant is fun, the gift shops overpriced but tempting. The HP section is at the back of the park and there are other theme areas like the Dr. Seuss section that are fun too.

If you are big Disney fans though, you might carefully consider the price of a multi day ticket against Universal. I agree with T. about the "hopper". You are better off doing a single park a day. Time spent going from one park to another is just wasted.

Can't wait to hear your finals plans.
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch