Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
How to decrease dependence on quads?
By Kittydoodles Comments: 76, member since Sun Sep 14, 2014
On Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 PM

I have really toned, bulky quadriceps compare to my inner thighs. Whenever I try to strengthen or use my inner thighs, my quad takes over. They're really pronounced and give me a manly silhouette, and they hinder my technique and I don't like them. How can I strengthen my inner thighs and have less bulky quads?

3 Replies to How to decrease dependence on quads?

re: How to decrease dependence on quads?
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Oct 24, 2014 01:41 PM
So you've had a recent hip injury which from what you've described sounds like a type of snapping hip syndrome. If it's internal snapping hip then that's your iliopsoas flicking and snapping against your pelvis, it can be really quite painful. Your iliopsoas is also an internal hip flexor and can try to take over from your abs if the imbalance is strong enough and what you've said here leads me to believe it could be.

I'm not trying to give a diagnosis here, there's no way I can over the internet and it's not my place to do that anyway. I am saying you should look into this as a potential reason for some of the problems you've been having. If you have a tight iliopsoas arabesque is going to be a more difficult step for you to do. It could also be something as simple as lack of hamstring strength, your hamstrings contract like crazy to get you into an arabesque and long lose hamstrings won't help at all here.

What you need to do is go to see someone who can give you a postural analysis or a gait test or both to see what is really going on. A Pilates instructor will be able to do this for you (I know because I am one) most massage therapists, chiropractors and PT's. Once you have your postural information you then need a series of exercises to help balance out the muscles, a PT or a Pilates instructor would be able to help you out here.
By Kittydoodles Comments: 76, member since Sun Sep 14, 2014
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:18 PM
Thanks! Hips are so confusing, right?
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 06:11 PM
Lol, they can be, this is why you need to talk to someone who understands them :)

ReplySendWatch