Forum: Arts / Pets

Pets
Male cat peeing outside litter box
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1532, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 AM

My male, neutered cat is a little over 1 year old. Both his parents were feral.

About 2 months ago, he started peeing large amounts in places beside his litter box. He still was going in his litter box, but in addition to other places. He ruined lots of things my husband and I own. I got a 2nd litter box, thinking he was just confused and wanted more options. I tried changing the cat litter. Still peed.

After 2 weeks of this, I decided maybe it wasn't behavioral and maybe it was an infection. Sure enough, he had a bladder infection and the vet put him on meds for 2 weeks. He didn't have a single accident during that time and I thought, hooray, that was the problem. He finished his last dose of meds last night. I kid you not, early this morning, he sat down on my husband's clothes on his dresser and peed a large amount. What's the deal?? Nothing is new, he's not spraying because he's actually squatting and going on horizontal surfaces and it's a large amount. (I had a male cat when I was younger who sprayed - he only sprayed vertical surfaces and it was small amounts. That was clearly marking his territory). This is very different and I'm at my wits end. I love my cat and would never give him up. Ever. But my husband needs some convincing...

The vet needs a urine sample to re-test for the infection to make sure it's cleared up, so as we speak my poor kitty is locked in the bathroom with the empty and clean litter box, hoping he'll pee in it so I can bring a sample to the vet today to re-test.

Any ideas?

1 Replies to Male cat peeing outside litter box

re: Male cat peeing outside litter box
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Oct 31, 2014 01:21 PM
It sounds like the infection either didn't clear up properly or it's returned. If that's not the case then you should discuss the option of neutering him with your vet.

ReplySendWatch