Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Out of town kids/adults for Halloween. en>fr fr>en
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8686, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Oct 31, 2014 07:48 PM

How do you feel about out if town halloween trick o treaters?

This has been a huge topic in our neighborhood, and I wondered what you guys thought of it, I would say that I spend $200+ in candy because we have such a handful of kids coming to the door. I buy the cheap stuff like lollipops, but I know my next door neighbor spends close to $500 in good candy.

We have a lot of out of town people come to our neighborhood to trick o treat, because we are considered a safe neighborhood and our streets are lit up really well and we close our streets to cars.

Here is the issue we have. We have loads and loads of vans park right outside and drop off 20+ plus teens/adults barely in costume. They come grab handfuls of candy and some of the older teens aren't even in costume. A lot of homes have started to say " Kids only please" and give out candy only into children's/teens bags. Not the adults.

Do you think it is appropriate for older teens and adults without costumes to go into neighborhoods and take their candy?

For me, I feel like Halloween is a once a year thing, and I actually don't mind if families come into the area, because it is safe, I would much rather children feel safe and have a good time.

6 Replies to Out of town kids/adults for Halloween.

re: Out of town kids/adults for Halloween. en>fr fr>en
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5866, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Oct 31, 2014 08:43 PM
I'd only give them one piece of candy - if you normally give two or three. Assuming you answer the door and don't just leave out a bucket of candy. I'd be afraid to say "no candy for you."

After 9 or 10pm turn off the porch light and don't answer the door.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7155, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 31, 2014 09:02 PM
I'm a kid who's parents would drive me and friends to other neighborhoods to trick or treat. My street has houses that are acres apart from each other and often set far away from the street. You can't see the front door of my house from the street because of trees. No matter how many decorations we put up we don't get trick or treaters we don't know personally. I get that it's kind of unfair that you have to pay more for candy to supply kids from less populated areas, but I guess that's part of the deal of living in a more populated area. That is a ton of money to spend on candy. I live in 21 story building. I got 3 bags of candy, spent $12 and still have half of it left. I guess kids from here find other places to go to too. I got about 20 and let them each take a handful. The fact that teens and adults are trick or treating is weird though. The oldest kid I got was about 13 and she probably lived in the building since she was by herself. The majority of the kids I got were preschoolers.
By LoriCook Comments: 1757, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:53 PM
You don't HAVE to give out candy. Shut off your lights when you're done. I say no costume, no candy. If someone took the trouble to dress up I will give them candy. I put out some candy with a sign saying "take two" so I could leave and some naughty person took it all. That's the second year in a row. Enjoy your sour patch kids overdose you fool!
My kids always wanted to go to the neighborhood where there was a mythical "full size candy bar" house. Never did find it! Start giving out a scoop of pennies and the older kids and adults will go elsewhere or say "never mind".
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Mon Nov 03, 2014 06:13 AM
I also grew up in the middle of nowhere, so we couldn't Trick or Treat in our own neighborhood. Every year, we went to my Uncle's house in town, and went through his neighborhood, so I understand 'out of towners'.

I don't really care for the teens and adults who show up with maybe a football jersey at most and call it a costume. In the past, I've said whatever and given them a piece, but I think in the future I am going to put out a sign, "No costume, No candy".

I think it is also an option to not let them just reach into the bowl themselves and take a handful. Keep the bowl closer to you, and you put an individual piece in each bag. That's what I do when I have a big group of older ones. With the adorable little ones, I have a tendency to tell them to take a whole handful. Some of them get pretty freaked out by that, since their parents clearly told them to always only take one!
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Mon Nov 03, 2014 07:58 AM
Wow, I didn't realize it was that serious that people needed to leave town to trick or treat...

I had overprotective parents who weren't into the whole trick or treating thing - we gave out candy, but I wasn't allowed to go but like 1-3x over the course of my childhood. One year I did go trick or treating across town, but only because that's where my friends lived and we all wanted to go together. We did the houses in their neighborhood, went to someone's house to sort it out and whatever and that was that. It's not like we hit their neighborhood, went to my neighborhood, and then had someone drive us over to the next town, lol.

I do think it's lame to trick or treat as as teen or adult (unless you're going with a child - your child or a sibling or cousin or whatever). There are places for adults to go who want to dress up. Usually involving a substance even more fun than candy - alcohol!
By fairy_dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6583, member since Sun Jan 20, 2002
On Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 AM
I don't live in the same town as my parents anymore, but my mother told me that apparently, kids these days are calling/texting each other while out trick-or-treating to give each other info on which houses or neighbourhoods have the best candy. As a result, my parents' area didn't get a lot of kids (my mother had lots of leftover candy at the end of the night), but her friend in another part of the neighbourhood that has bigger houses and people with more money (therefore, more/better candy) got huge amounts of kids. The entire neighbourhood (including the area where my parents live) is safe and known to be a residential area (there is even an elementary school next to my parents' house), but greedy kids and teens just go for the areas where they can get more/better candy.

ReplySendWatch