Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Pas De Deux
Missing Out
By Freckleful49 Comments: 18, member since Fri Dec 27, 2013
On Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:32 PM

My studio is very very small in a very small town, and I will be in the very first graduation class from it. We don't have any Pas De Deux or partnering classes offered because 1) there are very few male dancers and 2) our instructors focus on other curriculum.

I would really love to learn how to partner, but am trying to stay loyal to my studio. I don't even need to do it myself, just maybe find a video or book that could help me understand the fundamentals of Pas De Deux or any partnering for that matter. I feel as if I am lacking some important knowledge for my future career.

Is there any advice or place I could go to help me out? Thank you very much.

3 Replies to Missing Out

re: Missing Out
By Iamalittlefishie Comments: 707, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Fri Nov 14, 2014 01:48 PM
If you really want to stay at your current studio, see if you can take just Pas De Deux classes at another studio. You could also find a summer intensive that has Pas De Deux classes and attend in the summer(s).
By Patineur Comments: 10, member since Thu Jan 02, 2014
On Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:51 AM
Partnering gets intricate. Consider taking classes in another studio seriously. You can only go so far from books and video instruction.
I liked Pas de Deux: A Textbook on Partnering by Nikolai Serebrennikov and the legendary Anton Dolin's Pas de Deux, the Art of Partnering is a classic that outlives time.
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:19 PM
Are you looking at summer intensive programs? Coming from a very small school in a very small town, that is something you should be doing if you are planning on a ballet career. Of course, not everyone needs to go away to one every summer if there is good training at home, but in your case, there is something lacking- pas class.

Try looking for intensives that have partnering for every level (Bolshoi in NYC is one, ABT might be another- not sure). Some SIs only have it for the higher levels.

I feel like it is something that is difficult to understand in many ways until you do it yourself.

ReplySendWatch