Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Houston Ballet Summer Program/ Audition
By balletgilly3
On Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:40 PM

Hi everyone,

One of my top choices for summer intensives this year (2015) is Houston Ballet. If anyone has gone to the audition or the program, please write a detailed review! I really want some more information on both of them, but specifically the audition.

Sidenote: My city's audition is one of the last in their audition tour. Will this hurt my chances of getting in?

Thank you so much to anyone that can give me information!

6 Replies to Houston Ballet Summer Program/ Audition

re: Houston Ballet Summer Program/ Audition
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:58 PM
balletgilly3 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sidenote: My city's audition is one of the last in their audition tour. Will this hurt my chances of getting in?

Balletgilly3 -

No, it absolutely will not hurt your chances of getting in.

If you are a good fit for their program, you will be selected. And, it may work to your advantage if you do well since most people remember the last thing they see.

Let us know how it goes.
By balletgilly3
On Mon Nov 17, 2014 04:52 PM
Thanks! That's good to know.
By ha1l3y_
On Mon Dec 29, 2014 09:01 PM
I auditioned last year ( and I am auditioning again this year ) and got in. The audition is just like a normal ballet class. It consists of barre, center, and pointe work. Depending on what age group you are auditioning for the pointe work is usually expected of that age group. It's good to have a bit of experience ( that's what they are looking for ) on pointe. It is also good to have strong ankles because you will be doing pointe every day ( if you are levels 5-8 , I'm not so sure of the lower levels ) at the intensive. In my level we did at least an hour a day. Sometimes up to 4 depending on the classes and if we had rehearsal for the summer intensive showcase. The summer intensive was so much fun ! I hope this helps :)
By balletgilly3
On Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:26 AM
Thank you so much! Did you have to do fouettes on pointe at the audition?
By ha1l3y_
On Wed Dec 31, 2014 07:36 PM
In the 12-14 age group no. I'm not sure about the other age group though. I'm guessing they would ask who can do fouettes and go from there.
By balletgilly3
On Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:23 PM
Ok, thanks!

ReplySendWatch