Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Modern Dance - General
I don't '''get'' Graham Technique
By TrockaderTrainee Comments: 81, member since Wed Apr 23, 2014
On Wed Nov 12, 2014 02:43 PM

What's the point of Graham Technique and what are some of the benefits over a technique like say... Horton's:
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .

Just look at how athletic and physically beautiful those Horton dancers are.

Their turns are creative and breath-taking. They are also very strong and seem to give an almost '' Acrobatic Traditional Martial-Artist'' sense of control over their bodies. They seem to define poetry-in-motion.

I am having a hard time finding similar videos to compare/contrast Graham technique to.

Youtube only brings up a lot of abstract, ''weird'' performances that don't even feature the ''contraction and release'' or ''spirals'' that define Graham technique. There is nothing much in the way towards seeing the actual application towards one's dancing.

What are some stylistic features and advantages that Graham would have over the other styles?

2 Replies to I don't '''get'' Graham Technique

re: I don't '''get'' Graham Technique
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 904, member since Tue Jul 18, 2006
On Wed Nov 12, 2014 04:09 PM
I was trained shortly in Horton, his style is much more rigid. I have less training in Graham so I can't comment much.

Horton came after Graham, they are just different styles and evolution of the path of modern dance. Graham wanted to express nature, flowyness, and her influence went backwards and also inspired many ballet choreographers.

My only complaint with Horton is that some of the athletic and high repetitions leads to a loss of elegance, it makes it look more like a work out than an art. Ailey was very much inspired by Horton and many European religions, you can see it in his work.
re: I don't '''get'' Graham Technique
By TrockaderTrainee Comments: 81, member since Wed Apr 23, 2014
On Wed Nov 12, 2014 06:33 PM
SandraLAVixen wrote:

I was trained shortly in Horton, his style is much more rigid. I have less training in Graham so I can't comment much.

Horton came after Graham, they are just different styles and evolution of the path of modern dance. Graham wanted to express nature, flowyness, and her influence went backwards and also inspired many ballet choreographers.

My only complaint with Horton is that some of the athletic and high repetitions leads to a loss of elegance, it makes it look more like a work out than an art. Ailey was very much inspired by Horton and many European religions, you can see it in his work.

Thank you for your response, SandraLAVixen!

I can see what you mean about the high sense of athleticism in Horton leading to a loss of elegance.

Out of the modern styles (Limon, Graham --even though you said you have little experience in it--, Horton, Cunningham and any others) which one appeals to you the most and why?

Sorry for the question but there is such a dearth of information online concerning the aesthetics of these modern styles without all of the flowery, verbose (borderline nonsensical) prose that comes with it.

I figure an dance.net would be the place where a poster could get some illuminating information on this in regular, ''everyday'' speak.

ReplySendWatch