Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Disco - Parents Only
osgood schlatter syndrome
By malrob Comments: 24, member since Tue Sep 10, 2013
On Thu Nov 13, 2014 02:15 PM

Hi my 9 year old has recently been diagnosed as having this is one of her knees. We've been told that it will affect her until she stops growing. It doesn't cause her daily pain, or stop her from jumping around but when she's had a long session of dancing she will moan that it's hurting her.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience of this condition themselves, either with their children, or themselves, and whether it caused issues when dancing.

Thanks in advance x

2 Replies to osgood schlatter syndrome

re: osgood schlatter syndrome
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Nov 13, 2014 03:19 PM
I have experience of it, I had it as a young dancer, I now suffer from recurring knee pain because my dance teachers at the time told me to work through the pain. Not a good idea.

It can be caused by a few things, a growth spurt where the muscles and bones or soft tissue in the knee haven't grown at the same rate, an imbalance through the medial (inside) and lateral (outside) leg muscles amongst other things. It can be made worse if the sufferer has rolling ankles (fallen arches) this will put extra strain on the medial muscles of the leg and the Patella Tendon, this is what attaches the thigh muscles (quadriceps) to the knee.

If she gets pain it's her bodies way of saying she's over done it and needs to slow down a bit. I would talk to her dance teachers and let them know what the diagnosis is so they can take the appropriate action when needed.

One thing that might help, I know it helped me, is to sit down and put put the feet hip distance apart and place a purse or wallet between the knees and hold it there for about five to ten minutes, it will give the medial quad and adductors (inner thigh muscles) a bit of a work out they probably need if her knees are getting sore.

Let us know how it goes.
re: osgood schlatter syndrome
By malrob Comments: 24, member since Tue Sep 10, 2013
On Fri Nov 14, 2014 09:37 AM
Thank you so much for your reply Hummingird, that was really useful. I'm giving her a break from competitions for the rest of the year, and she has a knee support and Kids librprofen before she trains. I've told her to do more stretching rather than jumping etc, but will definitely try the exercises you have suggested. Xx

ReplySendWatch