Forum: Arts / Pets

Pets
No Pets Allowed - Betta fish?
By Puffin Comments: 28, member since Mon Dec 10, 2012
On Thu Nov 20, 2014 09:04 AM
Edited by Puffin (255529) on 2014-11-20 09:52:15 Contradicting myself

I'm having a bit of a dilemma, and I'm hoping for some input!

I'm a 3rd year university student and I live in a shared house with 4 other people. This semester especially has been very difficult for me because between work and school, I have very little down time to just chill out. I should also add that I am extremely shy and introverted, so being out among people isn't my forte anyway, and my roommates are often away, so I'm home alone the majority of the time. Well, I decided some time ago that I'd like to get a little pet to keep me company during my long study sessions and down time at home.

I contacted my landlord, and was devastated to find out that they "advertise their house as pet-free smoke-free, and want to keep it that way without exception".

My question is, would a Betta fish get me into enough trouble to have me evicted? I've had 2 responses so far: 1. that it's not worth the risk, and 2. to go ahead but be discreet about it. They wouldn't evict me, just tell me to get rid of it.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I'm going a little nuts, and need something to talk to and keep me company. Even if it's a fish. :)

17 Replies to No Pets Allowed - Betta fish?

re: No Pets Allowed - Betta fish?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Nov 20, 2014 09:47 AM
Can you get animal interaction in some other way - use the free time you spend at home to volunteer at an animal sanctuary, or walk an elderly person's dog or something?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 AM
Did you already ask the landlord specifically for a betta fish? If you did, you can't just play ignorant.

Most places,including dorms do allow fish in a tank under 10 gallon. How big of a tank are you thinking? If you haven't asked the landlord specifically mentioning fish, I would just play ignorant.

Does the landlord do home checks without warning? How would they even know you have a fish?
I know the right thing is to tell you not to do it, but honestly, I don't think a fish is that big of a deal.
re: No Pets Allowed - Betta fish? (karma: 1)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:03 AM
I've never heard of a place not allowing fish. Unless you live in an area prone to earthquakes there is little chance that anything would happen that would make a mess, which is why landlords don't like animals. With that said though, is a fish really going to "keep you company"? It's not like you can hold it. All you can do is watch it. Fish can be beautiful and serene to look at but I'm not sure that's what your after. I think volunteering at a shelter or something like that would be better.
On Thu Nov 20, 2014 04:37 PM
Thank you for the quick responses!

Louise: When I first moved here I did look into volunteering at the local SPCA, but found that it's located on the outskirts of the city near the airport. I don't drive, so have no way of getting there. And my free time is usually at the most inconvenient time of day: after supper, or after work around 10pm or later.

YYD: I actually asked the landlord about getting a little leopard gecko, I never thought to ask about a fish. I know I can get Betta tanks around 1 or 2 gallons that would take up minimal space. He doesn't come into the house very often, and so far has never entered anyone's bedroom. I can't see any reason why he would need to...

Moonlite: I agree with what you're saying, a fish wouldn't give me the same kind of company that any other pet would. My rationale is that I already talk to myself to no-end, so I figure at least a fish is a living thing. Kind of sad really, haha, but something is better than nothing!

I am completely on the fence. I feel like I'm making it into a bigger deal than it is, and I can't imagine getting kicked out over a fish, but need the second opinions.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Thu Nov 20, 2014 05:07 PM
I think "no pet" policies are usually meant to keep furry animals out, and make sure there's no stains the landlord would have to pay to clean, or any pet dander or hair floating around the place that could cause future tenants allergies. Given that a fish has no fur, I think you'll be fine.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Fri Nov 21, 2014 06:13 PM
You'll be fine, I'd imagine, but beta fish are pretty worthless as far as pets go. I've had a few...it's basically the same as having no pets, but having to clean a bowl and feed it. Not worth the effort or money.
By dancerxiv Comments: 113, member since Thu May 10, 2012
On Fri Nov 21, 2014 07:18 PM
I'm probably a bad one to answer since I hid a gerbil in my closet in college as well as a lizard under my bed but.... I have never found any place to discriminate against fish. Especially bettas who take up minimum room. And either way, if its found out they typically don't just automatically evict. They would just make you get rid of it within a certain time period. But with a fish I would find that unlikely of happening.

Ps. Before someone calls ASPCA on me I only put my critters away when my RA was around. Otherwise they lived a happy sunshine life.

Good luck!
re: No Pets Allowed - Betta fish? (karma: 1)
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1138, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Mon Nov 24, 2014 04:18 PM
Edited by highlandrebel (182229) on 2014-11-24 16:18:53
Edited by highlandrebel (182229) on 2014-11-24 16:21:40
Have you thought about volunteering at your local shelter (there are also rescue groups, which would *love* help and may be a little closer to you)? Then you can get your animal fix, not get in trouble with your landlord and help make critters without homes very happy!

I would ask the landlord about a fish, because no matter how small, it is an animal which depends on you.

Bettas are wonderful, interactive fish.
They are NOT meant to be kept in tiny 1 gallon aquariums sold in petstores (the 'they live happily in puddles in the wild' sold to novice owners is complete fiction). It is cruel and while they can survive, it greatly shortens their lifespan and creates a life of misery and sickness. They can also live more than 6 years, are you ready to care for a pet that long?

Betta fish should be in tanks 10 gallons or larger, they also need heaters for their tank and filters (special filters or a regular filter with modification made to reduce the current), as well as a top to keep the betta from jumping out. Addition supplies are- water conditioner, siphon and a bucket for water changes.
The tank should be cycled before putting the fish in and you should buy a kit to help monitor the levels of pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate that can kill fish.

And here are some additional sites for reading-
bettafish.com, bettatalk.com, ibcbettas.org
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Nov 24, 2014 05:14 PM
highlandrebel wrote:

as well as a top to keep the betta from jumping out.

This. I had a Betta fish and it died because it jumped out. We came home from church and it was on the floor. I put it back in the water but it died a few hours later. I have no idea how long it was out of the water.
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Mon Nov 24, 2014 07:58 PM
I lived in a place that was "no pets allowed". I outright asked my landlords if I could have a fish and they rolled their eyes at me and said it would be fine. Their main concerns were pets that would shed or go to the bathroom around the place. Or a large aquarium that could break and cause significant water damage.

I enjoyed my betta fish. He was fun to watch and nice to have something to take care of as a study break.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 07:46 AM
majere wrote:

I had a Betta fish and it died because it jumped out. We came home from church and it was on the floor.

This happened to me too! I was five and had my first betta fish ever; we came home from Christmas Eve church service and he was dead on the linoleum kitchen floor. Not the greatest Christmas for a five-year-old, but I don't remember being too traumatized. Apparently betta fish hate being left behind for worship services.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 09:13 AM
Mine lived nearly 5 years in a little betta bowl that got upgraded to a little one gallon aquarium. Gurpreet was a great little fishy! (don't ask about the name). He refused to eat till you said hi to him.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 01:35 PM
LlamaLlamaDuck wrote:

Mine lived nearly 5 years in a little betta bowl that got upgraded to a little one gallon aquarium. Gurpreet was a great little fishy! (don't ask about the name). He refused to eat till you said hi to him.

I don't know about anyone else but now I just want to ask about the name...
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 06:30 PM
One of the most fun pets I ever had was a tank of sea monkeys...they're entertaining to watch, I swear! :D
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Thu Dec 11, 2014 05:03 AM
This thread - so many feels! Puffin, did you end up getting a fish?

I can totally empathise with the "I need someone/something to talk to!" feeling. I didn't get a fish in the end (I really wanted a blue beta), but did get a whole stack of plants. Watering my plants and occasionally humming to them is the highlight of every half-week, I swear. I often also talk to my fitbit, and say things like "sorry guys, I've got to go home and take the fitbit for a walk".

So if you need something to love and a fish won't get you in trouble, I highly recommend :)
On Thu Dec 18, 2014 09:47 AM
Glitterfairy, I haven't gotten the fish yet, but I plan on it after the holidays. The landlord seems to be a reasonable person, and as much as the thought terrifies me, I can't imagine him making much of a fuss if he found out.

After a month of being cooped up in my room writing papers and studying for exams, I think I'll feel less insane having a fish to talk to rather than an inanimate object. Lord only knows what my roommates think of me!Lol
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:37 PM
I'm an absentee landlord of a condo unit in a college town. The building I own in does permit pets, which is a good thing because many of my tenants over the years have been veterinary students. Even if the condo assn had a 'no pet' rule, I wouldn't give it a second thought if someone asked me as an individual unit owner about a small aquarium. At one time we supposedly had a 35 lb maximum for pets, but that doesn't seem to be enforced as long as the pets aren't a nuisance. The Assn did get on the case of a neighbor who had two small dogs that barked all the time (and once cost me a prospective tenant.) I don't know how that was resolved. I bought the place 28 years ago when my kids were students and the 35 lb rules was published in the condo by-laws. My son bought a German Shepherd puppy at the start of his last semester and by the time he graduated it was 80lbs, LOL

Jon

ReplySendWatch