Forum: Advice / Beauty

Beauty
HELP!!!!
By danceisawesome Comments: 5, member since Thu Oct 09, 2014
On Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:37 AM

I have a really big problem. I get really bad breakouts on my face. The problem is that my mum is into natural medication and wont let me try any shop anti-pimple creams. So I am stuck with home remedies. I have a pretty balanced diet of fruit and veggies, I have tried a cinnamon, honey and lemon juice mask that was meant to be really good but nothing really works. Does anyone know any homemade remedies or natural creams that really work, preferably fast. I have summer holidays coming up and I really want to look presentable in the summer. Any advice would be appreciated.

10 Replies to HELP!!!!

re: HELP!!!! (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:50 AM
Most outbreaks are caused by a hormonal imbalance, that's why we get so many of them as teens, our hormones are all over the place! The only person who can really treat skin conditions properly for you is a doctor.

Over the counter spot cleansers for the most part are just different levels and types of antiseptic liquids that have had alternative fragrances or colours added to them so they're more appealing for us to put on our faces. In that respect I agree with your mum about not using them.

I've had a bit of success with putting toothpaste on spots as they start to come up, I use it over night, just a small dab and it works quite a lot of the time but if your outbreaks are causing you distress go to see your doctor or ask to be referred to a dermatologist.
re: HELP!!!! (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:54 PM
Essential oils, yo...

www.organicauthority.com . . .
re: HELP!!!!
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 AM
tea tree oil is very good. Also, do you have a LUSH in your area? Our products are more natural, NOT 100% (though some are, the majority are not), your mum might be more receptive to trying some of those products. I suggest the Fresh Face Masks and Grease Lightning www.lushusa.com . . . (which is tea tree gel for acne prone skin)

If you can't get into a LUSH check out the website, all the ingredients are listed, and you could pretty much make your own masks and gels and stuff.
By danceisawesome Comments: 5, member since Thu Oct 09, 2014
On Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 AM
That sounds great, but I am wondering, does it work? How fast?
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Mon Nov 24, 2014 03:03 PM
Honestly, there is no guaranteed time frame on anything like this. Everyone's skin is different, hormone levels are different, everything from what you eat to where you live can be a factor. How often you wash your pillow cases can be a factor, what type of makeup up, shampoo, conditioner etc. can all be factors.

The firs step is trying to find something that works. BUT! You have to give it TIME to work.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Nov 24, 2014 07:20 PM
On average, you have to give a new skin care regimen 6 weeks to work. So you're not going to get any sort of miracle cure here. :/
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sat Nov 29, 2014 08:43 PM
A few words of caution: Toothpaste, lemon, and undiluted tea tree oil shouldn't be put on your skin. Especially lemon. Not only is lemon way too acidic for your skin, but it also greatly increases your skin's sensitivity to the sun! If you're heading into summer, put the lemon down! :P Tea tree oil can be great at combating acne, but it should be diluted with another "carrier" oil to prevent irritation. (I use jojoba oil.)

Like hummingbird mentioned, a lot of acne is hormonal and can't be solved with creams OR natural remedies. That said, there are a few things you can do to help keep your skin happy: Always remove your makeup at night. Use a *gentle* cleanser once or twice a day. Your skin should not feel tight and dry after cleansing. Use a gentle moisturiser after cleansing. (Yes, even acne-prone skin needs a moisturiser! Drying out your skin will not prevent pimples, and may irritate the ones you already have.) Also, since you said you're heading into summer, make sure you wear sunscreen! It won't prevent pimples, but it can help fade any scars or pigmentation left behind (not to mention the cancer and wrinkle prevention ;) ).

As for "natural" remedies, I've had success with (diluted) tea tree oil and clay masks. (I use Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay mixed with raw apple cider vinegar.) I've also heard great things about neem oil, manuka honey, and turmeric.

And finally, if nothing else works, you might want to talk to your mum about seeing a dermatologist. They'll be able to give you more treatment options.
By Kittydoodles Comments: 76, member since Sun Sep 14, 2014
On Sat Nov 29, 2014 09:56 PM
Depending on your skin type, coconut oil is great for clearing breakouts and moisturizing skin and hair. Just scoop a little in your palm, let it melt, and rub it on your face. It has some antibacterial properties that can stop pimples before they begin.
By Ristoncormember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 60, member since Wed Dec 03, 2014
On Sun Dec 07, 2014 05:19 PM
I tend to breakout a lot too, and I'm not sure what skin type you are, but certain things helped me. Washing my face with soap and water once a day (perhaps you could get organic/natural soap?) and using this scrubbing gel called Peaux Jeunes by Melvita really helped scrub out all impurities. Pretty sure it's all-natural!

I use a BB cream foundation daily (I find letting it sit on skin before smoothing it in helps to cover better) - not sure if your mom would allow this. You could use natural foundation while your skin is recovering, but remember to take it off before bed with a make-up remover (soap and water isn't as effective).

Also, frequently changing your sheets so as not to build up oil helps too.
By Ristoncormember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 60, member since Wed Dec 03, 2014
On Sun Dec 07, 2014 05:20 PM
Also, try not to pick at your face, as that ends up putting more bacteria on it. Salicylic acid is great for blackheads, it dissolves the oil plugs a lot better than anything else.

ReplySendWatch