Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Tap
Question About Wings - New to Tap in an Open-Level Adult Class
By wannabeginner Comments: 1, member since Fri Nov 28, 2014
On Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:01 AM

Hi!

I'm fairly new to tap (I started in July) and I'm currently in an open-level adult class (the only adult tap class at the studio); therefore, we have some people who are pretty advanced dancers and others like me who are just starting. For the beginners in my class, the teacher is very nice and has a "do what you can" approach. However, I'm really concerned because she's having the beginners attempt wings...in the center...I can't even do one holding onto the barre, let alone in the center!!

I've talked to the studio owner a few times because I don't want to quit but at the same time, I'm having a hard time keeping up with the others and I'm really afraid I'll injure myself. I don't want to have to change studios (I've sampled classes at a few nearby studios, but I still like my current one the best) because I adore the studio owner - she's so sweet. But as much as I like her & her studio, it's really frustrating because my confidence is non-existent by the end of class.

I don't want to be disrespectful to my teacher, but is there a way I can politely decline attempting wings (at least in the center - I don't mind practicing the motions at the barre)? In the past, I've stepped outside when things get too difficult and the owner is very understanding about it. But I don't want that to become a habit - I just need some time in class to practice things at my own pace.

Any advice/suggestions?

2 Replies to Question About Wings - New to Tap in an Open-Level Adult Class

re: Question About Wings - New to Tap in an Open-Level Adult Class
By teacherlaura Comments: 8, member since Mon May 05, 2014
On Thu Jan 01, 2015 09:34 AM
I've always felt that, as an adult student, I can modify however I want. (Especially if I am older than the teacher, ha ha!) I don't ask permission, I just tell the teacher what I plan to do. I would just politely say, "If we are working on wings today, I am going to do them at the barre while you guys do them in center." And just leave it at that. If she tries to get you do otherwise, just say, "I don't feel comfortable with that."

The class sounds really frustrating. Are there any other beginners besides you?
re: Question About Wings - New to Tap in an Open-Level Adult Class
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:42 AM
Maybe just stand on one foot and practice getting all of the sounds in with the other one (does that make sense?), or ask to go to the barre.

ReplySendWatch