Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Ferguson. Thoughts?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Nov 29, 2014 01:19 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2014-11-29 13:22:20

Here is what I think happened, based in court transcripts and I wanted to know your thoughts.

Brown is illegally walking on the street, and he gets told by the officer to step unto the sidewalk. ( which is totally normal, I got pulled over for biking the wrong way). Brown gets upset, and punches the cop through the window, and he tries to grab the cops gun. The cop said he is worried that the blows will provide fatal.

I think Brown got aggreivated , because he committed a robbery a few minute ago, and probably thought he was getting arrested for that.
There are people saying that the cop didn't look injured enough, but as someone who got punched in the face several times due to boxing sessions, things don't look too bad the day I got punched. The next few days is when the black eye shows up badly.

Brown runs, and the officer gets out of the car to arrest the violent criminal. People keep saying why did he get out of his car to arrest him, if he was fearful of his life, I say, it is because that is the cops job. He SHOUlD have waited for backup, but sometimes cops don't have the luxury. They go into dangerous situations daily, sometimes without having backup because they are on route to the scene.

The officer gets out and chases the guy to arrest him. Brown attacks him, and he shoots once. At this point, Brown probably should have surrendered. But, he kept attacking the cop, and the cop kept shooting, and Brown didn't stop. The final shot FINALLY stopped him from attacking, because it was the fatal shot. The first 5 bullets didn't stop him from being violent, so I think the 6th one is ok, because that is what it took for him to stop attacking. There has been cases of numerous shot fired, and the offended still fighting due to adrenaline. I say, shoot as many times as needed until the suspect isn't a physical fatal threat anymore.

If he surrendered and stopped attacking after the first shot, the officer wouldn't have needed to shoot him to the excess of 6 times.
Based on this testimony, I think it as a clean shot. Brown punched the cop, tried to grab his gun, and when being arrested...he kept attacking the officer, even after he was shot.

There is about a 100lb difference between the cop and Brown. Brown being that much heavier then the cop, really is a big disadvantage.

I wish the cop was wearing a taser, because Brown didn't deserve to die, even if he robbed a store, punched a cop, and tried to grab his gun, then resisted arrest by attacking him again. I don't feel like anyone " deserves" to die, and I am currently against the death penalty for that reason.

I do think this was the case, the tip of the iceberg, in racial relationships with law enforcement. There has already been some heat, for good reason about profiling and black people being treated unfairly by law enforcement at times. I just think, the Ferguson case isn't the best example of this, because if the offender was white and committed the same actions...he would probably have been shot too or if it was a black officer in the same scenario, he would have shot.

I DO think it should have gone to actual trial though. There is conflicting eye witness accounts that don't match up with the science and autopsy reports. Also, the racial makeup of the jury wasn't exactly fair. It was 9 white and 3 black, and they only need 9 votes. That being said, the jury was picked at the beginning of the year, way before this happened....so I don't think it was purposely made to be an unfair advantage.

Your thoughts?

3 Replies to Ferguson. Thoughts?

re: Ferguson. Thoughts? (karma: 1)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15031, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Sat Nov 29, 2014 02:04 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2014-11-29 14:06:03
I'm sure it will shock everyone that I have a lot to say about this. I'm not going to at the moment, though.

The chain of events you went through is not entirely accurate.

I will say that they released every single piece of evidence given to the jury (you can read it all here) and I have yet to see anyone present any other possible course of events based on that evidence. Every piece of physical evidence I've seen has completely supported Officer Wilson's testimony.
re: Ferguson. Thoughts?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Nov 29, 2014 02:08 PM
I've read the court transcripts, but you posted a lot more...the link I had before didn't have the witnesses testimonies. Thanks for that!

Let me read through everything again, because I thought I had the chain of events correct. Which part am I mistaken? I got mine off some of the transcripts and some news sources. It would be good to correct my mistake, so I have a better understanding.
re: Ferguson. Thoughts?
By BunHeadAlymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 233, member since Mon Apr 30, 2012
On Sun Dec 21, 2014 03:08 PM
I thought the shop owner didn't identify Brown as the thief?

I've heard WAY too much conflicting stuff to have a real opinion on this case.

ReplySendWatch