Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
Boxed mixed or homemade?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Nov 29, 2014 01:47 PM

This year for Thanksgiving I made cupcakes out of a box. I did add 3 extra eggs, replaced the oil with a stick of butter, and used milk instead of the water. I also added fresh lemon zest and raspberries, I of course made homemade frosting.

The thing is, my boxed mix was received much highly then my homemade cake. I feel like I prefer things to be homemade, but my cupcakes were the first thing gone and people went back for thirds. I feel like it is weird that a boxed mix was received so well.

Do you prefer a box or homemade baked goods?

7 Replies to Boxed mixed or homemade?

re: Boxed mixed or homemade?
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sat Nov 29, 2014 07:21 PM
It all depends. I love to bake and make things. Usually I make them from scratch, a recipe from a cookbook or on-line. However, I have made cookies from a boxed cake mix! Yes, there is a recipe for that. I just took a book out of the library and it's a brand name baking book for bake sales. Some of the things in there include a cake mix but they have tons of things in them that are not included on the back of the cake mix box so it's a totally new recipe and I consider it homemade.

When you said all that you did with the mix I don't consider it a box mix at all. I'd be glad that everyone liked them as much as they did. Hold your head up high!
re: Boxed mixed or homemade? (karma: 1)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sun Nov 30, 2014 04:25 PM
I have no issue with boxed mixes. I see them simply as dry-ingredient bases (exact measures of flour etc), then add other ingredients - fruit purees instead of oil, flavourings etc - as the whim takes me.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, if you mixed and baked it, it's home made, whether the dry ingredients came pre-blended or from individual packets in your pantry.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 09:18 AM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2014-12-01 09:19:32
When I was a stay-at-home mom and had more kitchen time, I always baked from scratch. Now, life is busier with more-than-full-time job and other things, so I tend to use boxed mixes when I make cakes, brownies or cupcakes. But you made so many additions and changes that I wouldn't consider yours just a boxed mix. I think any cupcakes that have fresh lemon zest, fresh raspberries, extra eggs and real butter are going to be pretty wonderful, whether you start from scratch or from a mix. Sounds like you've hit on a combination people love. :)
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:01 AM
I prefer baked goods that taste good. Point blank. If I found out something that tastes really good was made from scratch, I'll give that person some extra kudos. But I'm not giving any kudos to mediocre or just plain bad tasting good because someone thought they were too good for a box mix, lol.

At the end of the day really it's about the final product. An obvious exception would be if someone was entered in some sort of contest or something.
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Wed Dec 10, 2014 04:28 AM
I like making dinners from scratch, I rarely eat from a box or otherwise pre-made.
But when it comes to baking I find that boxes dry mixes are often so perfectly done, I can rarely even match them. I made doughnuts from scratch last summer, but the 'just add water' version I usually use was still better. My 3-apple apple pie (justly celebrated in my family if I can say so myself ;) ) is best when I use an A-brand boxed mix (just needs 4 eggs and some butter). I made the dough from scratch once, but it was just not as good.

I think that, if you choose your boxed mixes carefully (I believe there is a reason some mixes cost more), they are sometimes just the best choice. Especially if you don't have to cater to diets like coeliac disease.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Wed Dec 10, 2014 02:16 PM
I've always liked boxed cake. I like it better than the cakes you can get from grocery store bakeries actually, and I usually just follow the directions as is with eggs, water and oil. Funfetti is my favorite. I'd have it for a wedding cake lol!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:09 PM
My husband ALWAYS prefers the boxes. And the cheaper the better. Serious, his palette is SO boring. I could feed him all week on a box of pop tarts and a jar of peanut butter.

ReplySendWatch