Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
Question for seamstresses more talented than I! (Attaching sequins to corset)
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sat Nov 29, 2014 09:53 PM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2014-11-29 21:57:39

I am working on my newest cosplay for a local comic con in January. I am going as a Cheshire cat. It is my own take on it.

I made a purple corset for the frame but my design has had to change due to a few things that have come up with the tail.

So basically, one of the things I was thinking of doing was attaching alternating rows of 1 3/4" sequins (purple and pink) to the corset and bottoms (think booty shorts) that way I can get the effect of the stripped Cheshire cat body.

My worry is that the sequins will end up taking the shape away from the corset. Is this likely to happen? Unfortunately, I don't have a dress form so I have to be reaaaally careful with the length of all the pieces.

Would attaching these sequins (not the place I'm buying them from as I don't need so much, but they are the exact size I would be using) (www.amazon.com . . .) to the corset bodice in rows be extremely difficult or cause the appearance of the corset to look odd or off?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I Just realized that this is probably not the best idea anyway because horizontal stripes are known for making the body look bigger than it really is and I REALLY don't want that.... ugh so maybe not.

5 Replies to Question for seamstresses more talented than I! (Attaching sequins to corset)

re: Question for seamstresses more talented than I! (Attaching sequins to corset)
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Nov 30, 2014 06:42 AM

EDIT:

I Just realized that this is probably not the best idea anyway because horizontal stripes are known for making the body look bigger than it really is and I REALLY don't want that.... ugh so maybe not.

That's not necessarily so, think about a sash, it just emphasizes the waist and makes it look smaller if it's done right. I would put a row of sequins across the top and bottom of the corset and one on your natural waist.

Or how about something like this? You probably wouldn't want to use sequins though.
re: Question for seamstresses more talented than I! (Attaching sequins to corset)
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Nov 30, 2014 07:44 AM
If the stripes are on a diagonal they will be fine. Even better if they taper towards the center of the waist. Type Morgana Femme corsets into google images for some good examples. I'd post some but they are a little NSFW
On Sun Nov 30, 2014 08:25 PM
Thank you both. With the stripes, cheshire cat is iconic for having horizontal stripes. So i'm going to get some cheap ribbon in the same size as the sequin trim and see how it looks that way I can have an idea.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:59 PM
I like the picture hummingbird posted as it shows the importance of stripes, in whichever direction, following the shape of a garment. I completely understand about the horizontal stripes for the Chesire cat, but working with the shape of your corset will give you shape but still represent the stripyness of the cat. I fear that using dead horizontal stripes will be very blocky, regardless of body type.
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 07:52 AM
^I completely understand :) I'll see what happens with the ribbon and how I like it best. I'll let everyone know :D

ReplySendWatch