Forum: Irish / Irish

Shipping up to Boston
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 30, 2014 02:26 PM

So a while ago I had posted about song ideas from movies. My choices were bridge attack for a reel and shipping up to Boston for a hornpipe. Some people said its a jig. I knew it was too fast to dance a jig but could see how a hornpipe would be slightly off.

After research I found its in 12/8 time. After further research i find 12/8 is a slide. Which makes sense because the song is quite fast (slides are played at 150 bpm).
Also I read that over the years many slides have been labeled as single jigs incorrectly. And that single jigs are more similar in rhythm to hornpipe than double jig (which we know).
Sooooo. If it is a slide, and a single jig fits quite nicely with it, then it stands to reason that it would be fine for me to use it as a hornpipe. Maybe throw in some single jig type steps in the choreography.
Sorry for the novel. Just need to bounce it off someone. Thanks!!!!

3 Replies to Shipping up to Boston

re: Shipping up to Boston
By StepdancerPremium member
On Sun Nov 30, 2014 08:29 PM
Edited by Stepdancer (168956) on 2014-11-30 20:30:02
If the steps you're dancing fit the music you'd like to use, I'd use it regardless of its official classification. I recall a similar question a few years back with a tune (can't recall the name at the moment) which some said was a hornpipe while others said it was a light jig. We used it as a hornpipe with no problems, although we could also have danced a light jig to it if we'd sped it up a bit. Along the way, I discovered that I could dance light jig steps to known hornpipes if they were the right speed, something I'd never considered or tried before.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 07:32 AM
That tune is PERFECT for set dancing! We did a jig set dance demo to that song to mix things up with my old performance troupe, and it was always a crowd favorite on St. Patrick's day as we spun and spun and spun around.

If you do decide to perform a hornpipe with it, let us know how it goes! I feel like the rhythm emphasis in that tune is a bit different than those of standard dance hornpipes (similar to how beat emphasis is different for single jig vs light jig), so it would be interesting to find out how standard hornpipe choreography would translate to it.
By seannettaPremium member
On Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:32 PM
You certainly don't need our permission -- put whatever fits with the music, regardless of what it's "supposed" to be! I think it'd actually be cool to mix light or single jigs with hornpipes in the same choreography. Go for it!

The differences between hornpipes and jigs are not all that vast, when you consider how slow we dance our hornpipes. Most musicians think of hornpipes as being at least as fast as trad speed, but often faster. When you slow the HP down, it really does basically become a jig. I've worked with live musicians a lot, and whenever I ask them to slow down their hornpipes to an acceptable speed it never works that well -- it sounds draggy and they are hesitant to play so slow. So I always ask them to play a jig instead, at a speed just a tad slower than light jig speed. It always works perfectly. The only difference is that it takes 16 bars of jig music to get through what we'd call 8 bars of the hornpipe.

ReplySendWatch