Forum: Irish / Irish

Question about bowing
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 02, 2014 05:24 AM

A question about bowing to the judge. Would it disqualify a 4 hand team if we turned to bow to the musicians before the bell was rung at Oireachtas?

6 Replies to Question about bowing

re: Question about bowing
By CarleIrishDancer
On Tue Dec 02, 2014 06:09 PM
I'm honestly not sure, but since it sounds like a insignificant thing, I would assume that it wouldn't. It happens a lot at feiseanna, so I HIGHLY doubt it would disqualify you. If you're wondering what you placed, then you would either a. get your marks from Oireachtas or b. google the results for under___ oireachtas 4-hand results.
By ReelJiggered
On Fri Dec 05, 2014 07:13 AM
No. Most schools wait to bow until after the bell, but it's not required. Our school does not wait. As my teacher would say, it's our way of "dropping the mic" (as in, we just owned this, see ya).

K
On Fri Dec 05, 2014 07:20 AM
Thank you! We didn't place and I thought we danced REALLY well. We tried to get the marks there, but they weren't opening the marks counter until AFTER awards - on Sunday night. I had my 3 year old with me and the other ladies on my team had to leave to drive back home - we couldn't stay.
I'm the one who told or team to turn and view to the musicians - I was so afraid I caused us to be DQd or at least lose points.
One other slightly silly question. I know in mixed 4 hands (which I've done before) the top gent wears the number on his back. Ours was on the "gents" front. Would that make any difference?
Thanks so much for the info and reassurance!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 05, 2014 09:47 AM
As a personal preference, you should wait until the bell is rung to bow. The judge is dismissing you from the stage by ringing the bell, so you should wait, bow and then walk off. I don't think they would actually disqualify you for this however.

The number should go on the back of one of the dancers who have their backs to the judge. If you put it on the front of any dancer they probably couldn't see it, so I don't really get why it would be done that way. Again, not a reason for DQ though.
On Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:34 AM
I had completely forgotten about the bell for 4-hands (is been 4 or 5 years since I did them last) and somehow didn't hear it with the 2 groups who danced before us. We finished, bowed, turned toward the musicians, then I heard the bell, and my heart sank.
By ReelJiggered
On Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:49 PM
Edited by ReelJiggered (201350) on 2014-12-05 12:56:07 Don't want to misrepresent the situation!
Oh geez. I need to clarify. I didn't mean to make my first message sound like we rushed off stage without paying proper respects to the judges and musician. My eight-hand had a bow to both the judges and the musician choreographed a number of beats after finishing our dance. That actually takes a bit of time, so the bell rings while we're in the midst of that and then we walk off stage.

K

ReplySendWatch