Forum: Irish / Irish

Any speakers of Gaelic able to help me out with some pronounciation? (re-post from Highland board)
By Cheesemoo
On Wed Dec 03, 2014 09:28 PM

(I have already posted this in the highland section but thought I would also try here, if that's okay?)

Hi,
I've been asked to sing the first verse of Silent Night in Gaelic (Scottish or Irish, either would be acceptable) for an international-themed Christmas concert.
Now, I am neither a singer nor a speaker of Gaelic, but I am apparently the only person who owns a kilt, so I am considering doing it. I just don't want to make a fool of myself, or mispronounce the lyrics so as to do a disservice to the language.

I have found this video of it being sung, although I'm not sure how good her pronunciation is.

www.youtube.com . . .

I also found this phonetic transcription, but again, I'm not sure of the accuracy.

www.celticartscenter.com . . .

Anyone with some knowledge of Gaelic able to help me out? Is it even possible for someone who doesn't speak the language to sing passably?

3 Replies to Any speakers of Gaelic able to help me out with some pronounciation? (re-post from Highland board)

re: Any speakers of Gaelic able to help me out with some pronounciation? (re-post from Highland boar
By Dancer456
On Thu Dec 04, 2014 03:33 PM
The phonetic transcription in the second link is pretty spot on, the only word I was questionable about was ciúin (silent) which is pronounced kew-in. Other than that it's pretty accurate.
re: Any speakers of Gaelic able to help me out with some pronounciation? (re-post from Highland boar
By RinceorNosretep
On Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:47 AM
If you'd like another audio example for pronunciation, Enya has a version that she's sung. www.youtube.com . . . Hers ought to be accurate as she's a native speaker.

P.S. 'Gaelic' means Scottish Gaelic. 'Gaeilge', 'Irish Gaelic', or just 'Irish' means the Irish language.
By Claddagh24
On Fri Dec 12, 2014 06:56 PM
I'm not an Irish speaker, but I'm learning siúil a rún and found this pronunciation dictionary helpful: breis.focloir.ie . . ..

ReplySendWatch