Forum: Highland / Highland - Choreography

Highland - Choreography
What Makes a Great Choreography?
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Tue Dec 09, 2014 02:43 PM
Moved to Highland - Choreography by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-12-09 15:48:28 You might get more answers here.

I'm doing a solo this year and I was looking for insight on what makes a really great choreography. Is it better to do complicated steps well, or to nail basic movements? Thank you! (I do highland if that makes a difference)

4 Replies to What Makes a Great Choreography?

re: What Makes a Great Choreography?
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:02 PM
My opinion that the biggest thing with something like Highland is to avoid too much repetition. Something with a lot of movement and variety is the most interesting, certainly dance nicely and with good technique but it's also important not to get too bogged down in technicalities. Pick music that makes you feel something and try to express that in your dancing. (hard as that may be in something as traditionally rigid as Highland!)
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Wed Jan 07, 2015 03:45 PM
Another thing to consider is to try and avoid using too many set steps. In highland we are used to using preset patterns of movemoments because all of our dances are predetermined.
Some of the best highland choreography I have seen takes the movements and combines them in ways you wouldn't expect. That keeps it interesting while still being a purely highland dance (instead of mixing in ballet or jazz etc).

But definitely, make sure you can nail all the movements you put in your dances. Sloppily executed complicated stuff will not gain you points.

Good luck!
By ilovedance_ Comments: 8, member since Sat May 04, 2013
On Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:10 AM
to never know what the dancers are going to do next
By DancelassiesMum Comments: 741, member since Sun May 06, 2007
On Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:23 AM
Smile! Show some personality. look like you are enjoying yourself! I hate watching technically difficult choreo's done well but the dancer looks miserable. Have fun and show it!

ReplySendWatch