Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Hip Hop
advice for being "shy"
By stargazer4 Comments: 8, member since Mon Aug 26, 2013
On Wed Dec 10, 2014 03:35 PM

Does anyone have any advice per say, for coming out of my shell in class? I have been constantly called out for not going "all out" and being shy and holding back. A lot of the times it is when I am confused and don't comprehend choreography as quick as the advanced students. And every time, it makes me even more SHY when they do that. I bust my butt, and study and take classes like crazy, but I still feel like I have so much to learn. My heart is dance 1000%, but will it ever all pay off?

2 Replies to advice for being "shy"

re: advice for being "shy"
By rosalinde Comments: 1981, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Thu Dec 11, 2014 01:46 AM
Have you told your teachers about this? Teachers (being ordinary human beings) aren't clear-voyants and some are even less perceptive than others > your teacher may simply not realise your problem. Since you're taking lots of classes, you're not lazy.
Are you in the right class (as in, are you not in a class that's too advanced)? If not:
Maybe you can explain to your teacher that you generally need just a little more time than some others. So maybe, when there's a new step/routine, they can let you walk through it in the back and not mind you too much unless you have a specific question. And then promise you will go all-out when you feel confident you know the steps.
You sound like the spitting image of one of my Irish dancers - and I too once thought she simply didn't put the effort in. Until I realised that if I just let her sit back a bit and take it on her own terms, she'd get the steps and never forget them either.
Good luck!
re: advice for being "shy"
By Briabw1010 Comments: 2, member since Sat Dec 13, 2014
On Sat Dec 13, 2014 08:50 AM
Hey Stargazer 4,

I agree with rosalinde. Try talking to your teacher and express your feelings. As a teacher myself, I would appreciate a student who addressed their concerns with me. Talking would help the teacher gain insight about who you are and vice versa--It would be a win-win outcome.

I used to be a shy individual. Dance allowed me to really find the outgoing side of me--and evidently, that's who I am lol. When you're in class, just take a risk. Everyone there is there to learn. It's okay to make mistakes as well--that's what dance class is for.

Your classes will pay off if you continue to push yourself--not only to master the choreography, but also to break out of your shell. Just let it all go! :)

Hope this was helpful!

ReplySendWatch