Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Which intensive?
By catedancer
On Tue Dec 16, 2014 06:32 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2014-12-18 07:34:39 Sorry, no height weight ratios on DDN please

Okay so I'm trying to decide where I want to go for the summer. and have proportioned legs to my body. I have been to BalletMet in Columbus, and TWSB in DC. I want to go to SAB really badly but if I'm not accepted then I want to go somewhere else that teaches Balanchine or a similar style. I know PNB and MCB are pretty similar to SAB and was wondering if those were good choices. Also I was thinking of Houston Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, Boston Ballet, and Pittsburg Ballet Theatre. If anyone could let me know if these are good options or if there are any other schools similar to the ones above, I'd greatly appreciate it! <3

7 Replies to Which intensive?

re: Which intensive?
By melissaga
On Wed Dec 17, 2014 06:29 PM
If you want a more Balanchine program, then you might also want to look at Charlotte Ballet and Carolina Ballet.

My impression is that Houston is definitely not . Same for Pittsburgh, at least not for the SIs.
By fuzyfish
On Sun Dec 21, 2014 06:51 AM
Ballet Chicago is very Balanchine. Check out their website.
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 AM
Three professionals I know attended SFB, they have longer torso to leg ratios, it's a little more accepting. But they want "athletic". I don't have any references for Houston, though.
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sun Dec 21, 2014 01:08 PM
Even if you don't get accepted, audition for SAB anyway. Tge worst that can happen is what you think.

MCB is VERY Balanchine. Don't know about the others.
By MamaK62
On Thu Dec 25, 2014 03:38 PM
What about Chautauqua? Most of the year round SAB students go there in the summer. Pretty exclusive, small program. Looks amazing. Does anyone have any personal experience from there?
By BalletIsMyLife45
On Fri Dec 26, 2014 09:54 AM
Chautauqua is an amazing program and is Balanchine, but it is VERY difficult to get into. For some people it could be harder to get in there than SAB. They get to perform a lot.
By ha1l3y_
On Tue Dec 30, 2014 08:40 PM
Houston is vaganova so if you are looking for a balanchine based summer intensive then I wouldn't go there. but it's an amazing summer intensive! I went last year and it's really intense but a lot of fun :)

ReplySendWatch