Forum: Highland / Highland - Theory

Highland - Theory
Triple and Quadruple Beat Rhythm
By HighlandHeart21 Comments: 3, member since Wed Dec 17, 2014
On Wed Dec 17, 2014 04:16 AM

I would be grateful if someone could please confirm which basic movements use triple beat rhythm and which use quadruple beat rhythm. I have read a couple of conflicting answers and want to be sure I am correct.

Many thanks

4 Replies to Triple and Quadruple Beat Rhythm

re: Triple and Quadruple Beat Rhythm
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Wed Dec 17, 2014 01:48 PM
Triple beat is counted "1 and a". It's most common in the jig. Think of the hop shuffle or hop heel heel in the break.

Quadruple beat is common in several of the dances and is counted "1 and and a" or "1 and (and) a" where the first or second "and" is actually silent. Highcut toe beat is one example (I know it is two movements but it works) counted "1 and (and) a 2". Hop brush beat beat is another counted "1 and (and) a 2".
The treble shuffle in the Earl also has a quadruple beat with all the beats danced.

I would have to get out my books and check my notes for more examples.

Hope that helps!
By HighlandHeart21 Comments: 3, member since Wed Dec 17, 2014
On Thu Dec 18, 2014 04:10 AM
Many thanks, that is what I thought but I wanted to be sure.

Therefore - Fling shakes and Sean Triubhas shakes are also quadruple beat rhythm?

Is there any examples where triple beat is used in highland?

thanks!
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Fri Dec 19, 2014 08:49 AM
Fling shakes are just 1 and 2, so not quadruple, but the shakes in the second step of the Seann Truibhas would be quadruple, yes.
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 PM
I knew there was an obvious example I had forgotten.

Yes the Sean Truibhas shakes are quadruple beats with all the beats danced. (If you do 4 shake movements).

The fling shakes are also quadruple beat rhythm but with a silent "and". This allows for the two methods. "1 and (and) a 2" (point out shake) and "1 (and) and a 2" (point, and a shake).

I still can't think of an example of triple beat in highland. I feel like there isn't one but to be sure I would have to check everything.

ReplySendWatch