Forum: Irish / Irish

Winter time = cold feet time...oh boy...
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 17, 2014 08:48 AM

I don't know if I am the only one with such problem , but in winter (or generally when it's cold outside) I get quickly cold feet. Generally I am used to it and not really bothered about it, but it's really annoying when I get to class and my feet/toes feels like ice. It always takes a while till it all warms up properly, so I can dance "normally" ( meaning properly - high on the toes etc). I come to class with cold feet already, and it won't get better just during warm up,it needs longer. Then the floor feels hard and cold too, no matter how good sprung floor/ harlequin floor is it. First I must dance few dances thru,then it's ok again. It just costs time that I could use for "proper" dancing, till I manage dance normally it's kind of sneaking around - just going thru the dances somehow. Any idea what I could do about it?

7 Replies to Winter time = cold feet time...oh boy...

re: Winter time = cold feet time...oh boy...
By sarahrID
On Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:09 AM
Try some leg warmers maybe? I know a lot of ballet dancers actually start class with them on and leave them on as long as necessary. A woman in my irish class does that too. It will still take time to warm up, but having the extra layer on may help your feet warm up faster.

I'm also not sure when you go to class or what you do before hand, but if you have or can get a nice pair of slippers (I have wonderful ones from llbean) that you can wear during the day under your desk or for a little while before class, that might help too.
By Rvndell
On Wed Dec 17, 2014 02:01 PM
I had a terrible time with this last winter since I had just moved a few hundred miles north, and because it was such a cold winter. The biggest thing that helped me was to wear really warm shoes on the way to dance. Most sneakers/tennis shoes are ventilated, which is great in hot environments and terrible in cold ones. Once I switched to wearing Uggs on my way to class, I stopped having so much trouble warming up. Also, make sure your dance shoes are kept in a warm place right up until you leave for class; don't leave them in your car all day or they will freeze your feet when you put them on! Finally, try arriving at class 10 minutes early; put on your shoes, then skip or batter for a few minutes in the changing area to make sure both your shoes and feet are nice and warm before class starts.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 17, 2014 03:54 PM
two things will help - don't wear nylon socks during the day. they make your feet colder. Use natural fibers, wool or cotton. Hiking socks are great! Then if you can wear shoes or boots with real shearling inside them (Uggs is one. I wear LL Bean clogs). Your feet will be soooo cozy. It is amazing the difference natural fibers make.

I second what Rvndell said, don't leave your shoes in the cold car.
By StepdancerPremium member
On Wed Dec 17, 2014 07:35 PM
Hop_123 wrote:

I second what Rvndell said, don't leave your shoes in the cold car.

I third it. (Assuming one can do that.) Many of my students leave their dance bag in the family car so as to never forget it when going to class, which I admit works. Trouble is their shoes turn into ice blocks in the winter, making the donning of shoes very dramatic. ("Sarah! Why don't you have your shoes on?" "But Mommy, they're cold!") Plus any handouts or information I send home never make it into the house, but that's another problem. :P
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 18, 2014 09:45 AM
Plus, if they're sweaty and you put them out in cold enough weather, it can damage to the shoes. The water expands when it freezes, which stretches out the leather. On the flip side, if your soft shoes are too small, you can stick them in the freezer while they;re damp to stretch them :P

I know a lot of ballet dancers who wear these while warming up: www.discountdance.com . . .

Get 'em a little large and wear them over your soft shoes
By monkeybiz329member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 18, 2014 01:48 PM
Thank goodness someone else has icicle feet! I've danced for 17 years and still haven't figured out a good cold feet solution. Irishsaoirse, thanks for asking, and everyone else, thanks for the ideas! (Also, I'm guilty of leaving my shoes in the car every day. Shame on me!)
By criosamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 20, 2014 06:45 PM
yep, has happened to me as long as I've been dancing.

can you get there early to allow your feet time to warm up?

and wool socks before class. I am in love with my smartwool socks that I wear to work. they seemed to help leading up to Oireachtas.

(I'd recommend a thin pair to wear in your dance shoes, but that never really helped with my ice skates. and I'm not sure how comfortable that would be for dancing in. probably better to go with slippers or thick socks over ghillies and/or legwarmers)

ReplySendWatch