Forum: Highland / Highland - Theory

Highland - Theory
Associates/Members Exam
By HighlandHeart21 Comments: 3, member since Wed Dec 17, 2014
On Mon Dec 22, 2014 02:14 AM

Hi

I am looking to compile a list of questions that would really make a dancer think and have to extract from the information they have learnt. For example when can a disassebmle be started from the flat or what is the exception to the rule when bowing with the arms at the sides of taking the arms to first position on the first count following the bow.

Can anyone help with other questions that make the dancer think about the information they have studied?

thanks

1 Replies to Associates/Members Exam

re: Associates/Members Exam (karma: 1)
By comp_genius Comments: 158, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Thu Dec 25, 2014 06:10 PM
I did my member's highland last spring. These are some questions my teacher asked me when I was preparing (and a few other things I've been asked in theory over the years):

REEL QUESTIONS

1. What are 4 interesting things to know about step 2 of the reel? (ie. any of: arms don't change on single count, land not on the count, fling shake to 2nd, fling hake starting on HP, hop w/o working foot in a specific position, step w/o travel)

2. For steps 2 & 8 of the reel, what are the similarities in terms of lateral travel? How would you explain to dancers how much to travel, when to travel, and when to be on the set line?

3. What is unique about the propelled pivot turn movement?

4. What is unique about the ending of the 3rd step?

5. What are the options for extending/not extending high cuts in step 5?

6. Where does your body face when you do a strathspey to the corner in a strathspey and highland reel?

7. What are the differences between the 8th and 10th steps?

SEAN TRIUBHAS QUESTIONS

1. What are the two methods for the round-the-leg movement in the 5th step? Where else do you find these two options? Where is the shoulder lead in this step?

2. What are the similarities and differences between the 6th and 6th alternate steps?

3. General transition steps - ie. when a step finishing with a pivot turn is followed by step 5, what happens to the working foot?

4. There are 12 different ways to do a SSD movement. What are they?

5. What are the differences between the 7th and 7th alt steps?

6. What steps can you not dance before the leap step?

7. What are the differences between the 4th and 4th alternate steps?

8. Why do the highcut in front movements have different timing in the 7th and 9th steps?

9. What is interesting about count 1 of the fling turn in the 10th step?

SWORD QUESTIONS

1. How many ways can you make the turn in step 1 bar 2?

2. When do you use 2 spring points in 4th position?

3. When do you use 4 spring points in the same position?

4. When do you use one spring point in 4th int? Two in 4th int? Three in 4th int?

5. When finishing steps 2, 3, 5, or 6, what are the different ways to finish and what steps could follow?

6. What are the differences between the 2nd and 5th steps?

7. How would you explain the placing of the swords and the positions when explaining sword to a dancer?

FLING

1. What are the differences between the 2nd, 5th and 5th alternate steps?

2. What are the similarities and differences between the 4th, 7th, and 7th alternate steps?

3. What is unique about the 6th alternate step?

4. How many different timings for a round-the-leg movement can you do in the fling?

GENERAL

1. What is the difference between 3rd and 4th position of the arms?

2. What is unique about 3rd crossed position?

3. The hands should not pass in front of the dancers face except for which exceptions?

4. What are the differences between the toe and the half-point?

5. Which positions have a rear but no aerial equivalent?

6. Which positions have an aerial but no rear equivalent?

7. Which positions have neither a rear nor aerial equivalent?

8. What is the difference between 3rd and 5th position of the feet?

9. When can you start a rock from a closed position?

10. When do you start a backstep from a rear position?

11. When the arm is in 2nd position the head is always turned away from the raised arm. What is an exception to this rule?

As you can see, I was asked a lot about differences between things! It is a good way to make you think about your steps and movements differently.

I also found it useful to be asked about common errors in steps - it really makes you think about where your feet SHOULD be at all times and what might go wrong.

ReplySendWatch