Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

SAB acceptance
By S_H_A_O_
On Tue Dec 30, 2014 04:58 PM

So I have always wanted to go to SAB's SI, but I'm not sure what the look for in a dancer. I don't have the ideal the ballet body, and I don't have good feet or anything, but I do have a strong technique. I've previously auditioned for SAB's SI and haven't been accepted, but K was just wondering what else they would look for in a dancer?

1 Replies to SAB acceptance

re: SAB acceptance
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 01, 2015 09:13 AM
SAB selects on a number of criteria. Since there is such competition to get into their school (and why wouldn't there be? It's first-rate training ... and then there's that company), they have the luxury of selecting who best fits into their regime/methodology. Here are some things that may help:

1. No matter what your body type, you must be in shape. The dancers that attend their school are in phenomenal condition so be sure that's what you are. This includes being aerobically conditioned.

2. Work cleanly. With Balanchine, it was speed. There really isn't time to be overtly fussy with arms, etc. Therefore, work cleanly and finish without wobbling around. Be precise.

3. Be confident. Work as though you're on stage. Present yourself wonderfully. The dancers selected have this amazing calmness and confidence about them. They project it and don't look tentative. Now they my feel insecure and tentative, but it doesn't show. Radiate this in class, but not to the point you're trying to overshadow anyone. Like the Zen saying, just be.

4. Musicality. And this is no means the least. Musicality is so important. Finish on time, adhere to the counts given and listen to the music. If all other things are equal, the nod will be given to the dancer that is musical.

They also love dancers who can move and if you have extensions, that would be the time to use them. Just present what you have to offer them in the best way you know how. Oh, and breathe! :P

I hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

ReplySendWatch