Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
How to quit my job?
By Elia_Jay Comments: 33, member since Sun Feb 02, 2014
On Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:37 PM
Locked by Elia_Jay (264664) on 2015-01-05 17:10:54 I sent the email, and my boss and I talked today. She congratulated me and thanked me for sending the notice when she did so she has time to start the search for a replacement. No one seemed upset over anything :)

I just found out that I was accepted to start a nursing program this spring semester which gives me less than a month to tie all my loose ends up and get myself all moved and everything.

I've been working as an assistant teacher at a daycare for about a year and a half, and I'm just about ready to give my two weeks (because of school).

I'm currently on vacation, and the center is closed until January 5th, but I've already decided that I want Jan 16th to be my last day of work, so in order to be within the two week time frame, I have to give my notice while I'm still here.

I should email my boss, right? What should it say? I asked my mom and she said just say that I just got accepted to school that will start in January and I would like to give my 2 weeks notice -- short and simple. Anything else I should say?

8 Replies to How to quit my job?

re: How to quit my job?
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Wed Dec 31, 2014 06:29 AM
What your mom says should be enough.

But if you can find a replacement, your employer always will consider you a star player.
On Wed Dec 31, 2014 09:48 AM
Thanks.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08 PM
But you are under no obligation to find a replacement. That is the owner's responsibility. If you actually do know someone who might fit the job, you may tip that person off to see if he or she has any interests and if so, tell the boss of that, but let that person make any overtures IF the boss says "fine." Since you are leaving for a noble cause and in good standing, try to keep on the best of terms with that person.

Jon
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Dec 31, 2014 05:31 PM
Thank them for the opportunity, you'll always think highly of them, but you've been accepted to a college program that will require all of your attention, and because of that, please consider January 16 your last day of employment at the day care. Boom.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Dec 31, 2014 06:53 PM
Theresa wrote:

Thank them for the opportunity, you'll always think highly of them, but you've been accepted to a college program that will require all of your attention, and because of that, please consider January 16 your last day of employment at the day care. Boom.

This. You are leaving for a good reason, so leave on a good note.

Don't worry about finding a replacement (especially for this sort of job).
On Wed Dec 31, 2014 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone.

I sent an email saying that I was accepted to nursing school, my last day will be the 16th and thank you for the opportunity.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jan 03, 2015 07:56 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2015-01-03 08:01:05
Short and simple on this one works very well. Your employer should be understanding and happy for you that you will be going to school full-time to better yourself and your future.

The only thing I would have added, (and sorry for only seeing this now), is that I would have mentioned to your current employer that you would be willing to carry on with them in a part-time or per-diem capacity. That way you don't burn any bridges (in-case nursing school should not work out for some reason for you) and you give yourself an opportunity to make a few scheckles here and there to help out with your expenses while you are full-time in nursing school. If not too late, I would try to meet with your boss/owner again, and see if they can keep you on the payroll for any emergency fill-in or part time work. In the childcare industry, I am sure most places have part-timers working for them.

Best of luck with your new and upcoming studies.
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 05:09 PM
Sarahdncr wrote:

Short and simple on this one works very well. Your employer should be understanding and happy for you that you will be going to school full-time to better yourself and your future.

The only thing I would have added, (and sorry for only seeing this now), is that I would have mentioned to your current employer that you would be willing to carry on with them in a part-time or per-diem capacity. That way you don't burn any bridges (in-case nursing school should not work out for some reason for you) and you give yourself an opportunity to make a few scheckles here and there to help out with your expenses while you are full-time in nursing school. If not too late, I would try to meet with your boss/owner again, and see if they can keep you on the payroll for any emergency fill-in or part time work. In the childcare industry, I am sure most places have part-timers working for them.

Best of luck with your new and upcoming studies.

Really good idea, but not a possibility. I am going to school 4 hours away from where I currently live and work. But I'll keep that in mind for the future, should a similar situation ever arise!

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed