Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Not good enough to get into a summer intensive
By Kitkat777
On Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 PM

I would really like to go to a 2015 summer intensive but I know that I'm not good enough and won't get accepted. I am 15, and just recently started pointe, I dance in a recreation program. My grand battement are only 90 degrees, the same as my developpes. I would need higher kicks and extensions right? I can also only do a single pirouette, I can't do a double. And I do t have my splits, I am close but not there.

6 Replies to Not good enough to get into a summer intensive

re: Not good enough to get into a summer intensive
By Dancingmunchkin
On Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:32 PM
Edited by Dancingmunchkin (261822) on 2015-01-02 22:36:26
I'm in the same boat as you (15 going on 16, and not on pointe). I found a school last year (2013, I guess 2 years ago) that accepted dancers of all experience levels. I'm trying to find out what that school is, because I could go next summer. Once I find out what it is, I'll let you know. :)

Also, I would audition anyways. What do you have to lose? Go for it!
By Ristoncormember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:34 PM
Even if you don't get into a summer intensive, I'd suggest trying out anyway. Doing new things and dancing in new places will help you improve.
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sat Jan 03, 2015 03:04 AM
Audition anyway. The experience is worth it.

CPYB would accept you. They take students of all levels and place you where you most need the help. They are a top school among summer intensives.
re: Not good enough to get into a summer intensive (karma: 1)
By balletboyrhysmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 03, 2015 06:45 AM
CPYB definitely. great program open to all levels of dancers.

try not to focus too much about the dazzle dazzle high kicks and lots of turns, theres so much more to ballet! think more about your port de bras, musicality, footwork and quality of movement.those are the things that really make a dancer.
By hummingbird
On Sat Jan 03, 2015 09:07 AM
^ I agree, a grand battement over 90 is nothing without good placement and control.

Up until last year I was teaching at a few different rec programs and some of my dancers there were stronger technically than my full program dancers just because of the effort they put into their classes.

Don't put yourself down because you're in a rec program!
By behindbarres
On Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:44 PM
Last year, I had only been dancing for 4 months, I did a video audition, and got into an amazing summer intensive! I improved sooo much! The school was Oregon Ballet Theatre. I suggest doing a video audition so that way you can do exercises you are more comfortable with. You can also attend CPYB, or a local SI that doesn't require and audition!! Good luck!

ReplySendWatch