Poll: Adults / Baby On Board

Okay, DDN, name my baby!
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Sun Jan 04, 2015 06:05 PM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2015-01-04 18:07:11

This is partially just a sneaky way of saying "I'm having another baby!" ;) Due in May. I don't know the sex, but I'm getting strong girly vibes.

I've told my husband we need an option or two for a girls name this time, because it took us 10 days to name our daughter after she was born. I thought it would be fun to make a poll, though I must warn you that these are MY favourites, not my husband's, and he'll probably have a major say, lol.

We already have a boys name, the name we would have called Madelyn if she were a boy: Lachlan John. Other possibles are John Angus or John Israel (Johnny), or perhaps Angus John, which is just my husband's name.

Our daughter is Madelyn Maria, for sib-set purposes.

Now, the names:

Mia is the only name on the list that my husband has said he really likes. In fact, he's pretty sure it's the one.

Heidi is after one of my best friends.

Eily is the girls name I really want (actually, I'd love the proper spelling, but that's going a bit too far for my husband).

Allouette, Wren and Dove are all birds names. Robin is a family name, but I don't really know if I like it, so I thought it would be fun to find another bird name instead. I do love Sparrow, but it rhymes with our last name.

Isobel is one my husband said ages ago he likes, but now he's not so sure. I still like it.

If you have any other suggestions, go for it! Especially for bird names, or alternate middle names for Mia, Eily and Isobel.

So... what should I name my baby?

20 Replies to Okay, DDN, name my baby!

re: Okay, DDN, name my baby!
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jan 04, 2015 06:15 PM
Congratulations!!!!

I pick Mia Heidi because I think (as long as you're happy with the name Mia) if there's a name you both agree on it makes life so much easier for everyone. I love the name Heidi, I always loved the books as a kid and it was one of the names I had picked out but then I had a boy :(

Congratulations again.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Sun Jan 04, 2015 06:24 PM
Thanks!

I'm very happy with Mia. I actually suggested it tentaively, because I thought my husband would never go for it, but he loves it. My only concern is whether Madelyn and Mia sounds too matchy?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jan 04, 2015 06:46 PM
If you'd said Mia and Kia I would have agreed with you, but Mia and Madelyn only start with the same letter, that's not matchy.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:34 PM
Congratulations! How exciting!

I think these all sound lovely and you have amazing taste in names. If I may add though, that Allouette sounds like a lovely name, but it reminds me of the cream cheese spread. Do you guys have that brand in your country? If not, I would say that Allouette is my favorite of the bunch!
By dance4ballet Comments: 1202, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:05 AM
I like Mia Heidi, it is very pretty and the most "normal" of the bunch.

I personally dislike when parents try to give their children "out there" names.

Unless you are French, I see "Alouette" as a very strange name indeed for your child. This is from the popular French children's sing along?

Wren I very much dislike, and Dove.

"Eily" - is this a different way of spelling "Elly" ?

Please choose a normal name. Imagine as an adult introducing yourself as "Alouette Wren" !
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:05 AM
I know people who absolutely love their "not so normal" name. My real name is spelled in a way that is not usual, and I love it too. So, I don't think telling someone they should name their kid something common (because that is what you would do) is necessarily a good thing. I also think we can leave out the negative "I CAN'T STAND THAT NAME" comments. That is extremely rude and it is surprising when people don't realize that while they are typing. My family has kids named Blaze, Devaune, Skyler, Barrett...not everyday names...and they all function just fine.

I picked Heidi Allouette, though my second choice is Allouette Wren. I love the name Wren and one of my favorite students was named Wren. I also love the name Lachlan.

Congratulations!!! *hugs*
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:43 AM
Dance4ballet: Eily - www.thinkbabynames.com . . .

I will say, due to the popularity of the song Alouette and how it's about plucking all the feathers off of a bird, I might refrain from using that one as a name. However, it is very pretty. But Lark also works as a name. Mia Lark?

Mia Eily? Although, if you're using Eily for a middle name you could use traditional spelling. Plus Eily gives you the avian meaning that nods toward your family.

Mia Eibhlin

I like Madalyn and Mia. I might think it were too matchy were it Maria and Mia, but Madalyn and Mia sound nice together.
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 03:14 PM
Ooh, I like Mia Eily/Eibhlin! I didn't know about Eibhlin, I was taking Eily from Eilidh which seems to mean something along the lines of "light." Eibhlin having connections to "bird" is perfect! I could use it as a middle name whatever first name we decide on (unless the two don't work together). Thanks Sumayah :)

I don't imagine I'll actually get to use Allouette. It's one of the names on my "I wish" list, but I'm hoping if I can convince my husband we could call her Allie, he'll go for it. Probably not though, haha.

Thank you all so much! Lots to think about :)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 04:56 PM
*squee* :D I am so, so happy for you and Angus and Madelyn. :)

Of the options you listed, I think Isobel Dove is the best one, but I also like the sound of Isobel Eily, or Isobel Wren.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of kids names with the same starting letter (although it does make labelling school supplies easier!), but if you were both leaning towards Mia, I think Mia Allouette sounds pretty cool, and is only one syllable shorter than Madelyn Maria. (If you're using their full name when they're in trouble, the more syllables the better!)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 05:08 PM
I voted for Heidi Allouette, because I think it flows well and I know someone named Heidi and I think it's a cool name.

I like Allouette as a middle name.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 08:38 PM
Just don't get too cute with the sibling sound alikes. My name as you know is Jon, my wife is Joyce... two names which by coincidence start with the same two letters. So what to name the baby... our first born, we continued this theme....he is Joel. When is sister came along we had long before selected Joellyn (joe ELLEN) the name of a teaching assistant we both worked for in college before we were married... so we have four names beginning with J-O and two of the starting J-O-E-L. Cute huh? Well our kids grew up. They are now actually 48 and 47. They got credit cards. They bought cars, they bought houses, they have mortgages, they have medical records. The various financial institutions habitually screwed this up. My daughter wanted to buy a house....denied....(she is a teacher) "You have a million dollar house a Mercedes and a Yukon Denali" [my son and his wife are quite wealthy.) A condo I own in Wisconsin showed up on my son's credit report. I wanted to do a refinance....according to records my daughter owns MY house. My son received birth control pills intended for his sister. We of course got it straightened out. Duh, we each have alternate types of government IDs with unique numbers that all the banks have. Since my daughter got married about 10 years ago and DID change her surname, we haven't had this problem for quite a number of years, but we DO have to tell people that they have to enter our full and complete names, not just the first few letters, which many computer retrievals do.

Jon
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 01:19 PM
Haha, Jon, that must be so annoying!

Just wondering, what do people think of using a name that is high up in the top 10 for their country? Isla has been my favourite girls name for years, and it's one my husband really likes too, but it was #3 in NZ for 2014. We're talking only 262 babies out of around 30,000, but there's already another Isla who is now one in our circle of acquaintances. I'd kind of written it off for now, but I was talking to someone the other day who said they'd just use it anyway, so now I'm wondering if that could be an option.
re: Okay, DDN, name my baby! (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 01:48 PM
It isn't offered as a choice, but I think Christine would be quite lovely.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 03:43 PM
James consistently scores in the top rankings for boy names in the US (for 2014, it was number 13), and oddly enough, he's never met a James his age. A handful older, and a few younger, but never one his own age.

But on the other hand, I went to my cousins high school graduation a few years ago, and every third girl had some variation on the name Caitlyn. So go figure.

I like a variety of the names that you have listed, but not necessarily in the order you've got them in. I think Isobel Heidi sounds nice, I think Mia Dove sounds nice in my head, even though I realize the oddity of it when you say it out loud. ;) My judgement is a little clouded on Wren though, because I've only ever known one person named Wren, and long story short, he isn't anyone you'd be getting really excited about naming your baby after, LOL...
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:32 PM
Oh, I LOVE Isla! You pick great names - I think I recall you considering Poppy last time, which is a favourite of mine.

My name is long-term popular (kind of like James actually) and I think I only once had another "me" in my class at school or any of my many extra curriculars. That said, my name allows for all sorts of diminutives and nicknames (think Catherine), so if there was more than one of us, we'd have a "Cat" and a "Catie", for example. There's only so much by way of nicknames you can do with Isla.

Does Madelyn go by Maddy? I'd consider this when you're looking at -y or -ie names (Allie, Heidi, Eily) if you're worried about being matchy. Heidi and Maddy in particular could get confusing when you're hollering across the playground!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 PM
SiyoNqoba wrote:

Haha, Jon, that must be so annoying!

Just wondering, what do people think of using a name that is high up in the top 10 for their country? Isla has been my favourite girls name for years, and it's one my husband really likes too, but it was #3 in NZ for 2014. We're talking only 262 babies out of around 30,000, but there's already another Isla who is now one in our circle of acquaintances. I'd kind of written it off for now, but I was talking to someone the other day who said they'd just use it anyway, so now I'm wondering if that could be an option.

My best friend in middle school had the same name as me, spelled the same way. It was apparently #3 that year (I just looked). My dad picked my name - he actually insisted that that be my name. But, that is probably good otherwise I'd probably be named Forest (one of the many names my mom suggested).

I like the name Isla. I had a student with that name and thought it was pretty.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sat Jan 10, 2015 05:11 AM
My name is smack bang in the middle of THE most popular name trend for my generation. #1 worldwide. Chances are, if I come across somebody with the same name as mine, I can guess within one or two years when they were born. In my highschool graduating class of 30, there were three of us, and we had to go by Name-and-Surname so people could clarify which one of us they were talking about.

You mentioned that one of the other children in your circle already has the name. For that reason alone, I would be reluctant to use it (my naming preference is to avoid names currently in circulation in my circle - avoid confusion) but if you adore the name, then keep it on your shortlist.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Sat Jan 10, 2015 04:49 PM
OH I am so excited! Yay for another DDN baby boom! Congratulations I am soooo happy for you!!!
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Tue Jun 23, 2015 02:35 PM
I gotta ask....was it a boy or a girl? Assuming you've had the baby by now!
On Sat Aug 29, 2015 03:09 AM
A girl :)

Mia Beth

Beth is my sister-in-law's name. We named her Mia right away, but then took nearly two weeks to find a middle name for her. Beth had suggested her name as a joke, but we thought it actually sounded quite nice, and she's a fantastic person to name a baby after.

She was born in the water on the 28th of April, following a 31 hour labour (more than 10 times longer than my first!). She is so sweet and peaceful. I'm on my phone, so will share photos soon :)

ReplySendWatch