Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Should I?
By Dancingmunchkin
On Sun Jan 04, 2015 07:13 PM

Should I ask my parents if I can go to CPYB for the summer? I can still register, I'm just not sure if my anxiety can take it. I'm a sophomore in high school, and it would be my first intensive, and I would like to have that experience before I can't go to an SI anymore. I'm a very nervous person, and I don't know if I could muster up the confidence to move away for 5 weeks.

Thank you!

5 Replies to Should I?

re: Should I? (karma: 1)
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sun Jan 04, 2015 08:05 PM
Yes. The worst thing in the world is to regret something you could have done.

In the 80s, I auditoned for and got into the Penssylvania Governor's School for the Arts summer session.. My parents were even prepared to pay for the summer session - unheard of from them.

I didn't go - for the very same reason you have just given. Fast forward 40 years, I still regret that decision.

Go.
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 05:13 AM
Agree with Serendipity.

Absolutely try. I would especially say this given it's CPYB you want to attend. It's a fantastic program where you can learn, make friends, work hard and have fun. In fact, you should write down all the positives and negatives and I'll bet the positives will far outweigh whatever your fears are about attending.

Always push beyond your comfort zone. It's how you overcome what you believe are your limitations. It's scary, but it's how we mature and develop into better versions of ourselves.

Let us know how it goes. :)
re: Should I?
By umbrellamanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 05, 2015 06:02 AM
If you are serious about becoming a ballerian, I think you should do it. Go after your dreams :)
By carlyeeeeee
On Thu Jan 08, 2015 07:48 AM
Go! Give it a try! I went to the Kirov Intensive when I was 10, and I was so homesick. My parents made me stay and push through it, and to this day, I am SO glad I went and stayed!! Also, if you are unsure about a 5 week intensive, there are other intensives that are shorter, like 2-4 weeks. Check out the Rock School, Kirov, Joffrey Ballet School, and ABT Alabama/California. Good luck with whatever you decided to do!! :)
By ChristinePremium member
On Thu Jan 08, 2015 09:13 AM
Please do this.

Your anxiety will be with you regardless of the experiences in which you participate. With time you will learn good strategies to handle the onset and "disconnecting" your brain from your fears is one of the reasons many of us were drawn to dance as children although we may not have recognized this as a "strategy". If you allow yourself to miss good things because you are afraid you might be crippled with anxiety later on you are signing up for a lifetime of regret. Every time you make a choice based on fear, the fear gets stronger. You can do this....

You will never be this age.... the PERFECT age for this experience.... ever again. The time you spend at the intensive will be unlike any other and regardless of your level of achievement, it will be life changing. How many times in your whole life do you think you will be able to do something like this? Three? Ten? Twenty? Even in the unlikely event that the last answer is true, life to too short to miss this.

If you sign up now, you will have enough time to make good, well thought out plans regarding every. single. detail. of your intensive. This is a good way to prevent anxiety as the time draws near and we will all be happy to help you in any way we can. Lots of dancers here on DDN have many helpful hints from conditioning before hand to packing and getting along with roommates.

I wish you well. Fingers crossed that you go for it!

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch