Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Children & Parenting
What is your kids favorite thing to do at storytime (@the Library)?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:43 PM

So, I got a new job. I'll be doing story-time and other children's programing at the library. I'm a little nervous this is new territory for me.

Do they like crafts? Singing? Dancing? Puppets/ fingerplay? etc.

I was talking with my new manger and she said that previous person did a craft every time. But the parents said the kids were getting tired of that. I don't know if I trust the parents on that at the story-time I worked the circ desk during (different library, different librarian) the kids loved doing crafts.

Doing a craft every-time is a ton of work, so I'm cool only doing one once a month instead of every week.

8 Replies to What is your kids favorite thing to do at storytime (@the Library)?

re: What is your kids favorite thing to do at storytime (@the Library)?
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:51 PM
My 2-year-old-next-month LOOOOOVES books that have songs that go with them. She gets really into them. Her favourites are 'Never Smile At A Crocodile' and 'My Little Dinosaur Pet.'

Have fun! What a cool job :)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Jan 07, 2015 03:46 AM
It does sound like a really cool job.

I guess it depends on the ages of the kids you'll be working with. What's awesome for a 2-y-o won't do so well for a 5-y-o and so on.

Our local library has programs for babies (encouraging parents to read and sing to bub and introducing the concept of books etc); toddlers (rhymes, textures, moving to rhythm); preschoolers and all the way up to teenagers. Unfortunately we haven't taken M there yet, because the times don't suit our schedule.

If you're on Pinterest, there are a TON of different kids book activities for storytime. Crafts don't always have to involve glitter and glue - printable colouring pages or masks to cut out and colour are great. This might give you some ideas, too: wannabwestern.hubpages.com . . .

Could you start off doing simple crafts to get a feel for what the kids and parents want and go from there? Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:27 PM
Are there any local kid musicians/magicians in your area? They have them out to our library a lot, the littles flip out for them, every time.

James goes to a "big kid story time" at a different library, and it's rad. They'll read a story, and then make a simple snack themed to the story. Like, they read a story about a pig digging for truffles, and made truffles. The split in to groups of five or six - one kid smashed the oreos, the next mashed in the cream cheese, etc., etc., and everybody had a cool job to do. James didn't like the truffles, so I got to eat his, haha. I know there's some concern with allergies, but you could make people sign off on that stuff when they sign up.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Jan 08, 2015 09:28 PM
Thanks for all of the input! Next week another librarian is coming to do the storytime, but I will watch read one of the books so I can kinda get the hang of it. :)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sat Jan 17, 2015 09:37 AM
I have basically no suggestions for story time because that's not my area, but wanted to A) suggest Pinterest, because they have a ton of great programming ideas and B) ask if you had graduated yet, because it seems like two months ago you were starting school! Time flies!
On Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:36 AM
Kekoa wrote:

I have basically no suggestions for story time because that's not my area, but wanted to A) suggest Pinterest, because they have a ton of great programming ideas and B) ask if you had graduated yet, because it seems like two months ago you were starting school! Time flies!

Yes, pinterest has been useful.

I'll graduate in December. I'm taking three classes this semester and then two in the fall and I'll be done!
By cut12bum Comments: 24, member since Wed Mar 11, 2015
On Wed Mar 11, 2015 02:26 PM
We love the library singalongs.

Honestly, as long as the person leading story time is excited about what's going on, then the kids are, too. :)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:53 PM
Just found this post, sorry for the late reply...

I really adore storytimes that have singalongs with songs that DO something. Hand motions, talking about numbers/colors/shapes, walking in a line or circle, etc. Kiddos won't remember much about the books (unless you read "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see? " a million trillion times *eye twitch *) But they'll love songs.

My favorite storytime was at a central library in a small-ish town,where they'd always stick to a theme, sing a song in between, and normally they'd color a picture with the option of taking it home or displaying it on a wall in the children's section. I think what made it truly unique was that the librarian that did it made an effort to remember names and always had a stack of books at the ready related to the theme for the kids to check out afterward.
We've been to a TON of storytimes, and all were pretty good, but the best are always the ones where the librarian makes an effort to share their love of books and reading with the children. Having a little enthusiasm goes a loooo ng way.

Good luck! My children love storytime and it's the best "intro to the library" ever. You may not know it, but your storytimes will make a lasting, marked difference in some of those kids.

ReplySendWatch