Forum: Ballet / Costumes

Costumes
Covering up tattoos for recital?
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1532, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:00 AM

Hi! I'm an Irish dance teacher who was recruited this past year to teach some very beginner ballet classes at the studio I work at. This year for our show we are doing Cinderella and the studio owner would like me to play the part of the Stepmother. There is more acting than dancing since I am not an experienced ballet dancer.

All this to say, I have a sleeve on my left arm and a large tattoo on my right forearm. The costume the studio owner chose is short sleeve with organza sleeves. Obviously she is not going for the look of a tatted-up stepmother :P

Does anyone have any experience with covering up tattoos for performances? I was thinking of possibly buying a child's pair of nude-colored tights and cutting them to wear only on my arms? Or possibly wearing a long sleeve, nude colored leotard underneath the costume? I wouldn't want it to be too hot though.

Thanks for your suggestions!

10 Replies to Covering up tattoos for recital?

re: Covering up tattoos for recital?
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:18 AM
It's expensive but I've heard really good things about Kat Von D's tattoo cover-up. You might check it out.
By ArySnyder77 Comments: 2, member since Sat Jan 24, 2015
On Sun Jan 25, 2015 03:06 PM
I have never covered anything that large but I use Glamoflauge and then a powder over it when I cover mine. Pinterest also has a lot of great ideas on how to cover them! Good luck!
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 427, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Tue Jan 27, 2015 09:13 AM
the tights trick works very well, you can even just cut the crotch out and you wear it as a crop top.

makeup works for small tats, but for a full sleeve like you have I think the tights will be easier and you wont have to worry about smearing.

Otherwise, maybe ask for some long gloves to go with the dress? also talk to the costumer, she may have some ideas and then you won't have to pay for it all!
By dancerat47 Comments: 17, member since Sun Mar 17, 2013
On Thu Jan 29, 2015 03:31 PM
I use Ben nye make up and you will need the base, cover up and powder then the final seal spray. The seal keeps the make up from transferring to you costume. Thetights trick works out with crotch cut out pretty well. I have lg tats on my back chest, leg and low back. I really did not expect to dance again at my age and do shows. So I really did not think it would be a problem. The make up requires layering, but will cover it. Good luck on your show
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jan 31, 2015 07:54 AM
As an alternative to the nude tights trick, or your idea to wear a nude long-sleeve leotard (good idea but you are right about the too hot thing), you may want to look for commercially made arm cover's.

I have heard of them, and I have seen many folks in the Forces have to use them to cover up their arms when they are wearing fatigues with their sleeves rolled up.

These compression like garments are roll-on/up flesh colored like stockings (only thicker) that go from the wrist up to the deltoid muscle near your shoulder. A quick Google search try "tattoo arm cover-ups" should yield up some options for you.

Good luck with it.
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1532, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:39 PM
Thanks for your advice, everyone.

Going for the tights option, does anyone know a typical color that is closest to a pale pasty-white Irish girl's skin tone? haha. I remember there being a color called "light suntan" that Capezio put out...

Because I have two tattoos on each arm, I'd need two sleeve covers. They go about $15 each, so it looks like tights might be the best option.

Thanks again!
By kookie_addict Comments: 5, member since Wed Feb 19, 2014
On Sun Feb 01, 2015 01:30 AM
You could try a full sleeve nude coloured shrug, or if you go to your local chemist/pharmacy, you should be able to get some thick foundation used to cover up birth marks or scars, however this may not be cost effective for such a large area. You could try nude coloured body paint and set it with powder foundation or cover it with stage makeup... hope you find a good way to cover your tattoos!
By lafifille Comments: 4, member since Sat Feb 07, 2015
On Sat Feb 07, 2015 05:45 PM
This is going to sound crazy, but layering glue and foundation can sometimes work. Aside from that, I'd suggest putting on primer and all that jazz and then using a very thick white body-paint type substance and covering it over with foundation + powder etc. It'll cover the tattoo and the worst that'll happen is you might look slightly paler on that arm.
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 427, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:33 AM
Capezio had a color called "natural" that was lighter than the light suntan or nude. If you have pink undertones, euro pink might be a better match for you.
On Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 AM
Capezio had a color called "natural" that was lighter than the light suntan or nude. If you have pink undertones, euro pink might be a better match for you.

ReplySendWatch