Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
Gluten free equivalent to Fiber One bars?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:19 PM

Long story short, because of my thyroid, I have been greatly encouraged to try going gluten free. There's some think that says that Hashimoto's patients can benefit from a gluten free diet. My endocrinologist said he didn't 100% agree with the research behind the idea, but encouraged me to try it, because as he pointed out, "it can only help..."

I've not been grocery shopping in a while (we have a tendency to get well ahead of ourselves shopping-wise, I'm trying to clear out some stuff), but I've been doing some reading and learning.

One thing that I think in particular that I'd miss is my Fiber One bars. I like the Oats & Chocolate the best, I like that it's low in Weight Watchers points, but still feels like it's kind of decadent and sweet at the same time.

So, I feel like I'd miss that one a lot. Is there a gluten free similar bar? I have access to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and the whole lot, although Whole Foods is pretty $$$.

11 Replies to Gluten free equivalent to Fiber One bars?

re: Gluten free equivalent to Fiber One bars?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:04 AM
Do you like the bars for the taste or the fiber content?

These aren't anything like fiberone bars but I like certain Kind bars. They are lower in sugar and some have chocolate in them. They sell them at Wholefoods, Safeway etc. They also have protein in them, so they are satisfying for a quick pick me up. My 2 favorite flavored are the blueberry pecan and the almond chocolate.

Oatmeal / chocolate bars are quite easy to make at home too. I love mixing oats( not the instant kind), cranberries, mini chocolate chops, nuts and honey. There are a bunch of recipies online.

If you like them for the fiber content, I am not sure what an equivalent is. My mom had her thyroid removed due to Hashimotos and while she didn't go gluten free, they made her cut out white grains and potatoes and other starches. I can ask her what kind of energy bars her doctor recommended, she always carried some in her purse.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 07:34 AM
No, it's more for the taste. The fiber is just a nice bonus, nutrition wise.

I've tried a handful of Kind bars, and have liked most of the ones I've tried. That's a good idea.

My doc asked me why I was asking about changing my diet. We'd also talked about removing my thyroid, and I was like "Well, we probably ought to try some other stuff, before we just cut it out, right?" Heh.

I don't know how perfect I'll get at it, but if switching out the kind of tortillas and noodles I buy, then yes - let's do that, right?
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:37 AM
I am not sure if Whole Foods in different states carry different things, but the ones in CA carry a bunch if gluten free equivalents. Because Gf is super trendy now, I would say 25% of whole foods snacks are GF.

There are GF bars at wholefoods, right next to the regular granola bars. Go take a look at them, Udi's has some and I believe Natures Path is there too.

I don't eat them, because of the sugar content....but if you are focusing on GF instead of sugar content,the ones at Whole Foods are pretty tasty.

I've tried a huge number of GF pizza and the best frozen pizzas are by Freschetta. They sell them at Safeway. The other ones aren't worth your while, because they taste like health food...if you get what I mean hahah. The Freschetta one actually tastes normal.

The best GF pasta is by Barillia. The other ones in the store have a funny texture.
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 AM
These can all be found at my local Safeway.

The 3rd photo is a pizza called " Against the Grain". It doesn't have the texture of a real pizza but a great alternative if you are avoiding grains in general. The crust is made with tapioca flour and cheese.

The other 2 GF products taste very similar to the real stuff. I

As for Gf granola bars, a lot of big companies are making their formula also Gf, so see if your safeway carries big name stuff in GF alternatives.

Whatever you do, don't buy the Udi's frozen pizza. Super expensive for a mediocre and small pizza.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:43 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2015-01-09 11:45:41
Due to B's health issues, we've gone gluten free as well. Here are some of my favorites:

ancientharvest.com
They just came out with a mac and cheese I bought but haven't prepared yet. Maybe tonight...

My favorite brand of frozen pizza: nypizzeria.com . . .
My grocery store carries the margherita, mulberry, and rustica gluten free pizzas. They taste so much better than Amy's or a lot of those other ones. And while it's a little small, if we split a pizza and have a salad, it's pretty perfect.

Kind bars are good.

I've had really, really good success substituting Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour as a 1 to 1 substitute for regular all purpose flour. You saw my molasses cookies on Instagram - those were 100% gluten free. And delicious. I can hook you up with the adjustments I made to the recipe if you like. I've also made killer chocolate chips cookies, banana bread, and pumpkin bread using it.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 07:22 PM
I know you're in Michigan, is there a Meijer, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Jewel near you? I'm not gluten free, but I've seen that they have very good GF foods.

Also look on Pinterest, you might find some GF recipes equivalent to them. :)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:19 PM
Larabars and Kind bars are staples in our household. I think if you found the right Larabar that might fill the hole for you. Plus Larabars don't have any garbage filler ingredients like the Fiber One bars have.

We get Larabars at our regular grocery stores, so you'd probably be able to find them outside of Whole Foods. Heck, they're even at Target.
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:50 PM
Oh yeah, we've got Meijer.

Larabars? Hmm, I'm not sure I've ever tried those either.

Thanks for the tips on the other stuff, too.

I'm especially intrigued by the flour idea. Jim and James obviously don't need to be gluten free, but if there's easy sub outs like that, where I don't have to make two different versions of everything, that'll sure make my life easier. :D
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:46 AM
Seriously, it's so easy. I don't need to be GF but B does, and I can't tell the difference between baked with regular flour or the Bob's gluten free. I did pick up some xantham gum for the occasional odd gluten free recipe that calls for it. But I don't do the 1/4c of twenty different flour thing. All purpose or nada.
On Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:50 AM
Cup4Cup gluten free flour at Whole Foods. Expensive stuff, but the texture is amazing. I make cakes, pastas, pizza dough, bread, cookies with it.
On Sun Jan 11, 2015 08:34 PM
We went shopping tonight, and I grabbed a handful of things to try out. I got some chocolate chip cookie dough Luna bars, some Barilla pasta, and some GF bis quick. James and I made dinner rolls wi the bis quick, and it doesn't perform the same way as traditional does, but he asked for seconds on the rolls, so that's encouraging. :)

ReplySendWatch